So.. I go outside with the girls.. and....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HennysMom, May 7, 2009.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

they run BACK to their coop.. all big eyed and [​IMG] looking like somethings going to eat them. Hmmm... okay.... first time in days they've been out due to rain. I hear bluejays and other birds squawking about, not really paying much attention though as they're behind me....

The pen door is open to the coop area... the girls are still frozen..and I'm across the yard calling them holding cucumbers in my hand. Nothing..still frozen; but the bluejays are getting louder and now the squirrels are joining in. Okay so I look up.. no hawks..no eagles. C'mon girls...come onnnnn..look nice cuke for you..and I waggle it about. Nada... wont budge. Then I hear it something behind me... flapping.. and it sounds LARGE.

I turn around....and there...is a flipping buzzard!!

[​IMG]

I stood up so fast you'd of thought the thing landed on me! The bluejays were attacking it and it was just moseying about..slowly...towards me.... [​IMG] I went inside to get my camera and by the time I came back out.. I guess Mr. Buzzard was bluejay pecked enough because he took flight to the neighbors roof top and then flew off again. Couldnt get a pic of him.

I was creeped out though - and the girls finally came out of their pen for goodies.

Next time.. I'll pay attention to that "deer in the headlight" look they're giving me! [​IMG]

2. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Yikes, we mostly have smallish hawks around here, but you never know.Glad everyone survived their ordeal. I guess we all have to be watchful.[​IMG]

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Sounds like Mr. Buzzard was coming in for some cucumbers!

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    OH WOW!!!!

I bet your poor chickens thought they're mom and bringer of snacks was going to get taken out by that HUGE flying object.

I'm glad everyones ok too.

Love your BYC page. Looks like you have a really great place for raising kids, chickens, critters and making homemade ice cream in the summer.

I used to love summer time family gatherings at my aunt and uncle's house and all us grand kids taking turns churning the ice cream then eating it on top of grandma's fresh baked pies. YUM!!

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    the woods started getting really loud yesterday when i was out with my girls, and i looked up and saw all the little birds high in the trees, attacking a hawk.

i love their gumption!
    [​IMG]

i would've totally freaked out if there had been a buzzard right behind me. those things freak me out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by