So I introduced two new pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Oct 25, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    to four of the same age during the night. This morning, the home birds will not let the other two out of the coop. They venture down the gang plank and one of them chasing them right back in. I guess I need to go referee. The two new EE's seem so timid.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  3. Beckyinma

Beckyinma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I got a new girl in August to replace a rooster and quarantined her in a wire dog crate in the pen for 2 nights and days before integrating her in. At first, once she was out of the crate it was very volatile, you could cut the tension with a knife. She was definitely low on the pole. The other girls, especially the two on the top were so mean to her they were pecking her right in the eyes, and I think she had a cold to boot. So I sat in there for a while each of the first couple of days and asserted MY authority as "top" chicken, and they settled down quite a bit within a couple days. She still gets less treats than the others, and gets picked on a bit because she is lowest in the order, but not nearly as much as before. But she eats like a pig, her cold is gone, she's not weezing or sneezing anymore, her color is coming in nicely, and she's doing the squat for me. She's a sweetie, tries to follow me out of the pen when I leave, and has succeeded twice!

4. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Quote:I agree with the take it slow and easy method.

I have a removable mini pen (made out of pvc and chicken wire) I put in my large pen to integrate newbies. I have found though that I use it for at least two weeks. By then, everyone is old hand. I then let the newbies out for a few minutes and then hours and slowly add more time. My had to do this for a long time as my new pullet was 20 weeks younger than the oldest pullets and she was so afraid (her buddy is a rooster so no problems there). She is quite settled now.

It has now been a month and everyone sleeps together on the roosts.

5. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Well, it was kinda rought this morning, but it seems to settle down a bit. It is funny, one EE has already laid this morning in the same nest box with one of the original hens and she let her! Now, the other pullet is trying to do the same with another one of mine, weird. They are still skiddish, especially of me, but I can understand. I was dusting them with DE this morning and they are so pretty. Here is pic of Cora and Rosie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

To Beckyinma and everyone else, too-always, always, ALWAYS quarantine new birds for at least a month before introducing them into the flock. If they show cold-like symptoms, never put them into the flock at all (chickens don't get "colds" like humans do). Then, if they pass the disease test and show no issues, put them where the newbies can see the others through a barrier/fence before introducing them. The new ones will always be on the bottom of the totem pole, though down the road, they may move up in rank.

7. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I knew this would turn into a discussion about quarantining your birds, did that, just now introducing them to each other. I think it is interesting how they react to one another. It has really calmed down a lot today here, both new birds have laid, as well as my others, so things must not be TOO stressful.

I have reached my max of SIX. LOL!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think it was more stressful on ME than on my two newbies [​IMG] and it was pretty rough on them...lol. I always thought so highly of my original girls; but boy did I see their "mean girl" side when integration occurred...

ETA: Oh...and your new girls are quite pretty! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  9. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:I know, the runt of my girls is the meanest of them all! I guess she has the chance to move up and is taking it. LOL!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by