So, is chicken poop just super attractive to flies?

werecatrising

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
California
I am getting ready to order fly predators . I tried them last year and wasn't all that impressed with the results- but I figured I'd give it another shot. I was reading through the chart that recommends how many how often etc. For most animals it said to apply every 3-4 weeks. For chickens it recommended every week! How often does everyone apply theirs?

I've used them before, but still only once a month - we have horses, and that was our main issue, and they do seem to help. I think you actually need to give it a few years, you may not notice a huge difference the first year, and of course, every year is different anyway, so it's kind of hard to tell. If you keep your coop and run clean, and compost the chicken poo in a good hot compost pile (and chicken poop will get a compost pile cooking really fast!), I haven't found flies to be a big problem at all. And you know, you can't put the fly predators anywhere that the chickens can get to them, or they'll eat them.

I rub a little bit of vanilla on the backs of the patio chairs to keep the flies away from the house. About 75% of the flies moved to different spots after I apply the vanilla.

Back
Top Bottom