So is the squatter my layer? *Update*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JPichler, Jul 22, 2011.

1. JPichler

JPichler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    West Central, WI
    I have one hen laying eggs for me and I do not know which one it is. I also have only one that is squatting for me after many attempts to try to pet my ladies. Do you think the squatter is my layer? Or is it possible I have a layer that is not squatting? I know, I know, you cannot always generalize all chickens. I'm just curious cause my squatter is my EE and I was really hoping for blue or green eggs. The eggs I'm getting are light brown, so I was wondering if all hope is lost. Not complaining...I'm excited to have eggs. Like I said, just curious.[​IMG]
    JP

Update:
    I just found out today that it's one of my BOs that has been giving me eggs everyday. So it's not the EE, the hope for blue or green eggs is alive. And no, none of the BOs squat for me, not even the one who is laying.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have 2 currently squatting, and neither are laying eggs. I have 3 laying, none of them squat. Who knows? LOL!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not necessarily. I've had some chickens that have never squatted for me - and one has been laying eggs for me for 2 years.

Who is the reddest in the face?

4. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I think that those who squat are either laying or getting ready to lay. I have seen them squat in winter, several weeks before they start up laying again in spring. The hormones must be priming the system. As far as I can recall, all the hens I have ever had, would squat at least for a rooster. But not all would squat for me.

5. JPichler

Jul 18, 2011
    West Central, WI
    Quote:I have 2 SLWs that are both really red in the face.
    Check out My Page....https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=100401
    There is a picture of my SLWs on there. I also have 1 BO that is quite red in the face. Which is really funny cause the other 4 BOs are still just pink. My Black Austr's are pretty red in the face as well. I'm so amazed when people know which of their hens are laying for them.
    JP

6. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    what exactly is this squatting that chickens do? This sounds like a really dumb question but I am new to chickens and mine are still to young to start laying eggs so.

7. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Hens normally squat when a rooster approaches so that he can mount and mate, but some squat when a person approaches or reaches down to pet them, which makes it easy for you to pick them up. In my experience, only those who are laying or getting ready to lay will squat. If they are molting, or even finished molting in winter, but still nowhere near ready to lay, they do not squat.

You will recognize the squatting when you see it.

8. JPichler

Jul 18, 2011
    West Central, WI
    Quote:Hey, I'm new to this too so do not feel like any question is a dumb question...
    When hens get close to laying and therefore maturing to the point of mating they will squat down when you reach down to pet them. The nature reason is for the mating to take place with a rooster. It is kind of funny. I read a thread about it recently. Very funny stuff. Anyway, when my chicken squats I just give her a back scratch and then she ruffles up her feathers as she walks away. I'm thinking there must be a bit of a hormone rush. I'm hoping it gets her to lay for me sooner.
    JP

9. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Oh! thank you so much that makes sense! [​IMG]

10. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I think you might be right about the SLW. She looks the reddest in the comb and wattles to me. Not all hens will squat. My head hen, Stumpy, refused she was not about to be submissive to the fake rooster. She was already laying too. I put my hand on her back, pushed down and rubbed it a little, now she squats. Have you spent any time in the coop. They show a lot of interest in the nest boxes when they are laying/about to lay. One of my girls likes to lay on the dummy egg and nap during the day. Weirdo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by