So I've Got This Onion... (PIC)

I love the onion, it looks beautiful there with the other plants. In the case of sprouting potatoes, we always shift the vegetable outside or it'd rot.

They are indeed a beautiful sprouting set you have there!

Heck, I grew a mighty fine group of sweet potatoes from one my neighbor was gonna just throw out because it had started to sprout! And they were yummy!
droolin.gif

I like to use the tops that grow from my onions in my soups, in addition to my leeks! or they are a ready garnish if you need some green on the plate.
droolin.gif

I too have some sprouted onions that need saving!
barnie.gif

We plant anything. We regularly like to save little bits of veggies to stick in the garden... they grow absolutely huge, MUCH bigger than how they were when we first bought them home
lol.png
There must be somethin' in the soil...
tongue.png

gryeyes wrote:
I have a purple onion I just "never got to" and it's sprouting. Sprouts are a good 4 inches long! I just hated cutting it, after that... so now I am gonna follow LauraJean's example and put it in a jar of water.

So there.

I'm going to join the club too! Only I'm going to try with one of my little onion sets for a while.
Neener neener MFB!​

Quote:
So..where are the seeds on an onion flower? The stamen?

The flower is a big white ball, which is very pretty. Once it dries up, just put a baggie around it, and crumble it. The seeds are small and black.

I must grow an onion on my windowsill too! I am thinking a red one
wee.gif

It does look rather pretty sitting there. I've planted onions in my garden every year only to see them not grow. I will make my windowsill my onion garden
big_smile.png

Quote:
So..where are the seeds on an onion flower? The stamen?

The flower is a big white ball, which is very pretty. Once it dries up, just put a baggie around it, and crumble it. The seeds are small and black.

Can I plant the seeds in a patio container on the deck or does it need to be in the ground?

Quote:

Can I plant the seeds in a patio container on the deck or does it need to be in the ground?

Using the square foot gardening line of reasoning, you can plant 16 onion seeds (or slips) per square foot, so if your container is big enough, you could plant quite a few.

Back
Top Bottom