So just how good are 'scovies at eating flies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NYRIR, May 29, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I have noticed an increased population of regular old house flies in my duck run...I CAN'T have that. My run is mostly packed dirt.(used to be grass [​IMG] ).I have been hosing down the run every other day with my garden hose to "wash" the poo down in, but it makes the corners by the water and pool so muddy. I cannot right now afford to fill with pea gravel/sand so I started using hay to cover the ground. I just started this two days ago. I'm going to attempt the deep litter method for now. I heard muscovies eat flies...is this true for all scovies or is it individual based? If they are good at eating flies...I will get some!
    Thanks as usual for your responses [​IMG]

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Maybe hang some fly strips in the corners where the birds won't get tangled in them. Cheap and easy!

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine are only turning 4wks(tuesday) but there quite good at bug catching although i am sure others who have owned the breed longer could give you more details just how good [​IMG]

I like the fly strip idea, i also know since we own horses that wet hay left about will for sure grow flies lol my manue pile is just ripe with them. [​IMG]

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ducks are good at catching bugs/flies, but their poop brings that many more....

5. tink0602

tink0602 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    I was watching our little ducklings out in the yard running through the grass and catching bugs and flies just yesterday. They are too cute. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by