Comfortable flooring options for pen

Do you think shavings would be okay directly over the gravel? That should prevent them walking on rough

It will mix in with the gravel and be hard to clean.
exactly. don’t put shavings on top of gravel. I use gravel, mixed with sand in many areas . I use the Eco rugs in other areas. I think casportpony uses a solid base of rock - like paver stones first then the horse stall pad, then the bedding on top of that.

exactly. don’t put shavings on top of gravel. I use gravel, mixed with sand in many areas . I use the Eco rugs in other areas. I think casportpony uses a solid base of rock - like paver stones first then the horse stall pad, then the bedding on top of that.
Or maybe first put down the gravel, then the horse stall pads, and then you can put pine shavings, wood shavings or straw whatever you want. I guess the horse stall pads should be the kind with holes in them so the water drains through down to the rocks?

It will mix in with the gravel and be hard to clean.
Hmm
I guess it would be difficult to rake up...
I'm really not sure what I can use in-between the layers :hmm
Money is again an issue for me and I'm trying to work with things I have, I have gravel, and I might be able to get something else but I'm hoping for an inexpensive option

Or maybe first put down the gravel, then the horse stall pads, and then you can put pine shavings, wood shavings or straw whatever you want. I guess the horse stall pads should be the kind with holes in them so the water drains through down to the rocks?
Ah I know the kind, I'll have a quick look online and see what I can find.
What kind of sand is best for duck pen use btw? I'm not sure I'm likely to go for that option but just in case

Hmm
I guess it would be difficult to rake up...
I'm really not sure what I can use in-between the layers :hmm
Money is again an issue for me and I'm trying to work with things I have, I have gravel, and I might be able to get something else but I'm hoping for an inexpensive option
what kind of gravel do you have ?

what kind of gravel do you have ?
Frankly I'm not even sure if it's suitable, it belongs to my dad and he offered it to me. It isn't what I thought he meant, when I got a look this morning. I'm not sure the name of it, it's a very coarse gravel. If I had to guess I'd assume its grey whin mixed with something else. I haven't researched it much yet but it seems like it could be okay if there's layers on top. If not I'd have to do sand I think, it'd be great if this would work though as its free for me to use
IMG-20240310-WA0000.jpeg

Frankly I'm not even sure if it's suitable, it belongs to my dad and he offered it to me. It isn't what I thought he meant, when I got a look this morning. I'm not sure the name of it, it's a very coarse gravel. If I had to guess I'd assume its grey whin mixed with something else. I haven't researched it much yet but it seems like it could be okay if there's layers on top. If not I'd have to do sand I think, it'd be great if this would work though as its free for me to use
View attachment 3768449
oh dear, that’s the kind i have in my front yard around the sheds, where my birds don’t go. it has all those sharp edges and points, i wouldn’t want them walking in it. i use pea gravel, they are smaller, rounded pieces.
if you use the gravel that you have and cover it with the horse stall mats i think it would be ok . then throw shavings and or straw on top of the mats. I just don’t know if you can find the mats on sale or how expensive they are to cover the area that you need covered. It might be cheaper to go with a truckload of Pea gravel rather than use the gravel you have, and pay for the mats. or the carpets i mentioned- i just got 2 more of them to cut and use where needed ( over slippery mud spots)
My ducks don’t live in a run. They have a 3000 square-foot backyard pen. I just need the rugs and stones put where I have to walk mainly so I don’t slip. And also to fill in puddles so they don’t go stagnant and risk botulism. it would be far too expensive for me to try to cover all the area they walk in. I hope you find a good solution. Maybe you’ll get mats cheap, they do go on sale sometimes

oh dear, that’s the kind i have in my front yard around the sheds, where my birds don’t go. it has all those sharp edges and points, i wouldn’t want them walking in it. i use pea gravel, they are smaller, rounded pieces.
if you use the gravel that you have and cover it with the horse stall mats i think it would be ok . then throw shavings and or straw on top of the mats. I just don’t know if you can find the mats on sale or how expensive they are to cover the area that you need covered. It might be cheaper to go with a truckload of Pea gravel rather than use the gravel you have, and pay for the mats. or the carpets i mentioned- i just got 2 more of them to cut and use where needed ( over slippery mud spots)
My ducks don’t live in a run. They have a 3000 square-foot backyard pen. I just need the rugs and stones put where I have to walk mainly so I don’t slip. And also to fill in puddles so they don’t go stagnant and risk botulism. it would be far too expensive for me to try to cover all the area they walk in. I hope you find a good solution. Maybe you’ll get mats cheap, they do go on sale sometimes
I did have a look online and it does seem affordable, worst case scenario I might only be able to do gravel and mats on one half of the pen under the pool, and then figure something out for the other side
But I think I might be able to do the whole thing.
I definitely don't want them walking on this gravel, it's very coarse. But I think it's manageable with the mats on top

Back
Top Bottom