Comfortable flooring options for pen

I've given up on not having everything mucky and muddy. I think if it's just for the outside, pavers might be a good choice because you can hose them off. But they still drag bedding out of the coops.
I meant to reply to this
Yes they will still take bedding out of their coops probably. Sprightly never does this, but Dougie... she's a trouble maker. She will pick up mouthfuls of muddy/mucky bedding, straw that gets damp etc, wherever she can find something and dump it into their water bucket and pool. Her mission in life is to make everything dirty, so that's another thing I want to reduce lol.
If I can get rid of the straw and switch to pine shavings, keep everything as dry as possible, then I don't think she'll find it as fun and *might* cease her antics. She only seems interested in damp/muddy bedding.

Well, my partner and I have had a long talk and decided to put a few hundred pounds of modifications into the pen.
:th
These girls will be treated like royalty!
We've even decided to more than likely replace their coop, as it has deteriated to the point of (very likely) no return. That coop was the most expensive mistake of my life lol.
This time around I'll probably get a small outdoor wooden playhouse, and convert it. Other people have done this, turning it into a hutch, or coop etc, the reviews are better than the fancy coops.

Question, to make this one last better, I want to paint it with waterproof outdoor paint, inside and out. It will be inside the pen so it will be sheltered mostly from wind and rain. Is there a specific kind of paint that I should get or is the typical house/fence paint okay? And is there anything else I can do to prevent damp inside from affecting the wood? What would be the best material to cover the floor with?

Well! A while later but the pen is almost finished. Some wire left to do, and the pond... some things to tidy up. But mostly there
The girls spent their first night in their new coop... honestly it's more of a house. Or shed. Bit of a mansion...
They seemed to like it!

It's definitely much more weather proof and significantly more predator proof. The goal is to be completely rodent proof by the end of the upgrade. And mud proof!
I'll have photos of the completed pen to post very soon. :D

Automatic scooper, like those cat litter boxes but on an industrial level? ;)
Automatic scooper? Aye, but that would be me, constantly cleaning up after them
Chasing Tom And Jerry GIF by Max

First peak!
I'll get better photos tomorrow once the final jobs are done, I was too preoccupied tonight, watching Dougie and Spry enjoying their new pond!
They LOVE it!
It's got sandy soil underneath, layers of gravel, and a plug. So that should help to drain it for cleans.
I turned their old coop into a little house which I'm calling their "hay barn"
And their house is magnificent. Wood is so much stronger than their last one.

The wiring is almost done, and there's gravel and horse mats under the entire pen. New tarpaulins on the roof, and a dirt box to contain their muddy mess (as if I'd flat out deprive my muddy monsters of their mud)

Few modifications to do, but it's pretty much there.

Oh and... ignore the baby toys. I absolutely do not  baby my ducks, I actually dont even know why those are there...

IMG-20240427-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240427-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20240427-WA0015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom