So let me tell yall something about mallards and rouens

buff goose guy

Songster
5 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Mississippi Y'all
The easily misguided stereotype of mallard ducklings having one strip by the eye makes them a mallard is completely false. Mallard ducklings can have any number of striped by the eyes. A mallard duckling could have 1 stripe or 4 that doesn't mean its mixed bred or not a mallard, its completely normal in nature for mallard to have more than one stripe.

The same could go for rouens. The ducklings do not have to have 2 striped they can have 1 or even more than 2. That doesn't make them any less than a rouen or any more. You can have a perfect show quality rouen that had 3 striped by its eyes or maybe even one stripe by its eyes. The number of striped does not matter. What matter is the size , growth and, of course, genetics gone into a duck that prove its breed not the number of striped by the eyes.

This is delta and dawn as babies delta had 2 striped dawn had 1

This was them grown up into perfect show quality mallards

So when you are trying to decide the breed of a duckling dont look at the stripes is basicly what this whole post was about, sorry i had my little rant now
gig.gif

Everyone have a good day
big_smile.png
smile.png

The easily misguided stereotype of mallard ducklings having one strip by the eye makes them a mallard is completely false. Mallard ducklings can have any number of striped by the eyes. A mallard duckling could have 1 stripe or 4 that doesn't mean its mixed bred or not a mallard, its completely normal in nature for mallard to have more than one stripe.

That's good to know! I've always been told the other way, now I know better! Pretty ducks, BTW.
love.gif

Also: I now have that song stuck in my head, thanks.
lol.png

Last edited:
im just happy to help . people were told the stripe rule by someone who just didnt know and now its a problem for alot of ducks haveing misidentification

the real thing is people think that mallards are rouens and the mallards fly away and then dont know how to survive and avoid predators in the wild

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom