So long story short

citychickx6

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Loveland
We treated our birds with sevin mixed with DE and I am wondering if the eggs are still safe or if I should toss.
We treated them because I suspect mites.

I don't toss eggs after I've dusted, only if I need them to eat or drink antibiotics. I could be wrong tho.
Also....if you suspect mites, after dusting, the more important thing imo, is to check the coop and bedding, as that's where the infestations really take a hold. If you have an infestations, on birds or in coop, you will not need to suspect...you will see them. This isn't really the season for them, so check the bedding very well.

Last edited:
Quote:
I did pull ALL the shavings from the coop and fully dusted the coop with a DE and sevin mixture. I made sure to get the roosts very well especially the ends and undersides. I rubbed the DE and sevin into the wood.

I think it is the fluff louse that I am dealing with since the fuzzy feathers are looking tattered. I have 2 birds that have naked necks on the front side. I think it is from scratching. One is a BA and the other is an EE.

I am still trying to get my hands on some actual poultry dust. The farm supply store near me has nothing.
somad.gif
OHHHHHHHH but they are getting new babies in February.
rant.gif

I could not find any actual mites or bugs on the birds or in the coop. But then from what I have read they can be really hard to see.

I will be changing or adding to the wire on my run to keep the wild birds out.

Back
Top Bottom