So mad I could strangle my duck... **UPDATED AND WITH PICS**

Poor little peanut! I am glad she is inside with you now! And bless your heart for taking her to a vet, many wouldn't bother!

Please don't be mad at momma, though. She just doesn't know any better.

So glad I didn't try to fix it myself. It's not the foot at all but a fractured tibia (spelling?). Found a very nice vet that my feed store suggested. They did xrays, assured me that I am not the crazy duck lady, they've had a couple of ducks before, even fixed up a pair of club feet once.

It's right at the joint so he says it may never heal properly but we'll see. It's splinted and s/he has had a bit of food and water since we got home and is resting. Splint has to stay on for 3 weeks with weekly checkups.

Thanks to all of you for your help, I'll keep you posted. The tech suggested we name it Willy because it has such a will to live.

I hope this little one survives, this is the only one that hatched. Mama (and I use the name loosely) is off the nest so the 1 remaining egg is not going to hatch. Between dealing with the sick duckling in the kitchen and not having an incubator I just can't take that on now too...

The vet suggested I roll up a towel to support her so she could eat and drink and not just drag herself around and lose what little strength she has in the 1 good leg.

Quote:
awww, poor little guy. glad you stepped in and got him out of that situation
thumbsup.gif

Poor thing. Just like some humans I know, some ducks just arent meant to be parents! So sad. If it was her first hatching she just might not have known what to do. Dont be mad at her, she was just confused. So welcome to being the Mama now
wink.png
Im sure Im not the only one here who asks to "Keep us updated on the little fella"! And I hope it gets to feeling better!

Back
Top Bottom