So Many Bedding Choices

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SimplyForties, May 19, 2009.

1. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    My first chicks should arrive in the next couple of days and I have been carefully reading the volumes of good advice here. I'm now the proud owner of pine shavings, wood pellets AND Carefresh paper pulp bedding - LOL. Since none of these various bedding materials are easy to obtain within 100 miles of where I live, every time I read someone's recommendation I buy it when I'm out of town. I should be able to conduct a good comparison study!

For the first go I finally settled on the Carefresh, covered with puppy pads. My brooder is all set up and ready to go. Now if only the post office would call! [​IMG]

2. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    LOL that's funny, at least you'll be prepared. I was using regular shredded paper from work. It worked fine when they were small but now at 3 weeks old it's just not good. First of all they would throw it EVERYWHERE, it was dusty and it was becoming very, very damp no matter how often I changed it. I am now using a mixture of Aspen shavings and wood pellets and it is working out great!

Good luck when you get your fuzzies in!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by