So many broody/hatch questions!!!!

in my flock of 18, i leave momma and babies right in the mix of it.... theres no re-introduction, which can be tuff..... they grow up as part of the flock, amazing how the little guys get right in there and steal treats from the adults.. my biggest surprise was how fast they are outside running around in 30 degree weather........ after a week or so of chick food where their nesting, i just put the entire flock on flock raiser feed and put oyster shell on the side....

My daughters are 11 and 7. My oldest daughter was born on christmas morning so she sill technically be 12. She was a christmas present for us. she was born 6 weeks premature but was perfectly healthy besides being small. I think I am more anxious for my eggs hatching than the kids are for Santa. I bet they get more sleep.

Quote:
x2! Im glad you opened this thread. My japanese bantam is sitting on three eggs. We're due on Christmas also!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
If you want healthy chicks they must have chick starter/grower for the first 6 months. Oyster shell (Calcium) consumption for hens under laying age (6 months) could severely damage their kidneys. (Roosters shouldn't really have it all.)

Other chickens, especially hens can kill a broody mother's chicks. Roosters may not mean but could step on the fragile chicks while trying to mate with the mother. That's why I separate Mom & chicks.

All this advice for a safe hatch...and a healthy, happy future for your chicks.
smile.png

Last edited:
I wish my silkies looked like yours. I bought mine out of the uncle henrys up here in Maine and I bought them because I felt bad for them. They were a mess. I should have known something was up when the lady i bought them from wouldnt allow me at her house. Met her at Burger King. Then she had three silkies a roo and two hens in the smallest box I have ever seen They were on top of each other. The feathers were all matted and broken and was a little skinny. The roo is gone because he was sooo vicious. You could not get any where near him. Oh well they have a good home now and they are slowly looking better.

Quote:
Well they are so LUCKY to have you! I hate to think of their remaining chickens, probably living in horrendous conditions...so sad.

Quote:
If you want healthy chicks they must have chick starter/grower for the first 6 months. Oyster shell (Calcium) consumption for hens under laying age (6 months) could severely damage their kidneys. (Roosters shouldn't really have it all.)

Other chickens, especially hens can kill a broody mother's chicks. Roosters may not mean but could step on the fragile chicks while trying to mate with the mother. That's why I separate Mom & chicks.

smile.png

Flock Raiser is a perfect choice. The oyster shell offered free choice is also excellent advice. Only the hens that need it will eat it. Chicks won't bother with it.

Quote:

smile.png

Flock Raiser is a perfect choice. The oyster shell offered free choice is also excellent advice. Only the hens that need it will eat it. Chicks won't bother with it.

Flock Raiser is 20% protein, so a good choice for many. I bought it once and it was molded in a week. Others may have better luck with it. I just prefer chick starter.

Maybe you got an old batch? We live in a swamp so humidity is high but I haven't had a problem with Flock Raiser in a metal garbage can outside.

Back
Top Bottom