So many choices!! (hatcheries)

I never discourage people from buying chicks from the feed store--especially if you are only getting chickens for family egg supply. You can go pick out a handful of peeps, generally know they're healthy and recovered from shipping stress. If you're new to chickens you may not know which breeds will actually fit your personality or farm needs--so getting too worked up about getting the right breeds is useless until you've started raising a few.

The chicks in bins at feed stores are usually shipped through the mail. I have the option to get chicks from three different feed stores. One gets chicks from Welp (which I believe actually come from Privett). One gets chicks from Dunlop. The third gets chicks from a "local" breeder (local here means within state and it's a big state). The one that gets chicks from a local breeder charges $6/chick, has three breed choices, they're straight run, and you have to pre-order. The other two have a larger variety and sell pullets as well as straight run (depending on breed and if they're bantam)--the prices are usually between $2.50 and $6/chick depending on breed, sex, size, etc.

I believe Purely Poultry is a middle-man. They will have another hatchery ship the chicks to you. You can't really say how their birds are since they may come from different sources depending on desired ship date, breed selection and location. There is nothing wrong with this, and several "hatcheries" do this.

ETA: as mentioned, most feed stores get their birds from a big hatchery, so you're still supporting the "puppy mill." I doubt feed stores actually make that much money off chick sales--I bet most of their profit comes from the chicken paraphernalia sold with the chicks and the bags of feed you will buy for the birds over their lifetime.

Last edited:
Agway gets their chicks from hatcheries and not local breeders. People want sexed pullets. The vast majority of local breeders do not sex chicks.

Thanks for the info :) Yeah, I think most stores probably get them from hatcheries. and yeah, I think most people definitely want pullets.

My family has had chickens for as long as I can remember and we have always ordered from Murray McMurray. No, their chickens are not mean unless they are raised wrong. My rooster from them is as sweet as he can be. In my last order I got about 15 chicks. Not a single one was dead in the package. All in all, I'd say Murray McMurray is your best bet.

Really? Well that's good :) it must depend on the individual bird(s) then. Thanks for the info.

I never discourage people from buying chicks from the feed store--especially if you are only getting chickens for family egg supply. You can go pick out a handful of peeps, generally know they're healthy and recovered from shipping stress. If you're new to chickens you may not know which breeds will actually fit your personality or farm needs--so getting too worked up about getting the right breeds is useless until you've started raising a few.

The chicks in bins at feed stores are usually shipped through the mail. I have the option to get chicks from three different feed stores. One gets chicks from Welp (which I believe actually come from Privett). One gets chicks from Dunlop. The third gets chicks from a "local" breeder (local here means within state and it's a big state). The one that gets chicks from a local breeder charges $6/chick, has three breed choices, they're straight run, and you have to pre-order. The other two have a larger variety and sell pullets as well as straight run (depending on breed and if they're bantam)--the prices are usually between $2.50 and $6/chick depending on breed, sex, size, etc.

I believe Purely Poultry is a middle-man. They will have another hatchery ship the chicks to you. You can't really say how their birds are since they may come from different sources depending on desired ship date, breed selection and location. There is nothing wrong with this, and several "hatcheries" do this.

ETA: as mentioned, most feed stores get their birds from a big hatchery, so you're still supporting the "puppy mill." I doubt feed stores actually make that much money off chick sales--I bet most of their profit comes from the chicken paraphernalia sold with the chicks and the bags of feed you will buy for the birds over their lifetime.

Thanks for all the great info :)

That was my thought too, I can pick the ones that are active and peeping/healthy. and that's true about the breeds and I'm not really set on breeds anyways, going off what people have said, so I'll just ask Ross when I go in and get more info. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

I'll have to ask where they get them, although I'm not sure if I care too too much. We have a few places to choose from too though but this is the closest I think. Other options I think are TSC, another smaller store on the Cape, and one in NH, and then probably a few in the next towns over, but TSC is like half an hour away. But yeah. The way I figure about the price though, it's fine because I'm just glad to not have to pay for shipping :)

Really? that's interesting, I didn't know that

And yeah, I don't think he realizes that but I do see the point because at least some of the money is going to the store. I think you're right though that most of the money probably comes from the supplies and things because the chickens themselves are pretty cheap in comparison.

Skip TSC. They don't get much of a variety of breeds to select from, and not all of the employees know much about poultry. I am not familiar with any of the feed stores your way but ask about minimums. I think there is a crazy MA law that restricts the number of chicks you can buy around Easter.

I know NH repealed their 12 chick minimum. Erikson's Grain in Acton also has chicks in the spring but they're probably too far for you too.

Skip TSC. They don't get much of a variety of breeds to select from, and not all of the employees know much about poultry. I am not familiar with any of the feed stores your way but ask about minimums. I think there is a crazy MA law that restricts the number of chicks you can buy around Easter.

I know NH repealed their 12 chick minimum. Erikson's Grain in Acton also has chicks in the spring but they're probably too far for you too.

Really? wow that stinks :/ although the way I figure, they're probably like the "Petco" of the chicken/farming world so I'd rather not go there anyways lol Not that Petco is terrible but you get my point (I actually much prefer Petsmart though, less "corporate" feel and take better care of animals IMO). But really? wow that's really weird, I'll definitely have to look into that.

That's good :) though NH is probably far lol and I Googled it and yeah, I think Acton is like an hour away. Not too bad but this one is probably the best bet.

I'll definitely Google the law though, thank you :)

I found an article on the NH law and they mention how they could go to ME or MA and buy as many as they wanted so I assume that means there's no limit in MA but still looking. Found something else that suggests TSC won't sell less than 6 but still looking for an actual law

Back
Top Bottom