So many early quitters?

careeka22

Songster
Jul 29, 2016
Aylett VA
IMG_20190825_203519120_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Hi, I'm just curious what causes early quitters? My friend and I combined her eggs for a batch 22 of mine, 20 of hers. Overall 7 were infertile. Today is day 10 and 9 have quit and were actually getting smelly. (Different days). I believe 3 had cracks which made sense but not sure on the others?? This is my 5th hatch and I've never lost this many so soon. Only change to the incubator was adding a fan. Temps holding steady at 99 and humidity 35-50. Hand rotation 3x a day. Of the ones left half are mind half hers. Healthy flocks, just a fluke? Incubator was bleached between batches. Thanks!

Temp is to low and humidity is to high from looks of that monitor in there, cracks would do it, is it in a place it's not getting jostled, 3x a day is the bare minumum

@Ridgerunner might have some ideas, as was helping me out when I was having such a hard time when I started incubating

Last edited:
Temp is to low and humidity is to high from looks of that monitor in there, cracks would do it, is it in a place it's not getting jostled, 3x a day is the bare minumum

@Ridgerunner might have some ideas, as was helping me out when I was having such a hard time when I started incubating

Oh yeah I quickly corrected that it was only like that for a short time when I first added them. Since then it's been 99/100 and 35-50 humidity. I have no idea how so many got cracked unless my kids knocked them around. They are in the basement away from everyone. 3x is best I can do unfortunately working FT. I'd love any more advice. Eggs were very fresh too. Rotated inside at a good temp.

Oh yeah I quickly corrected that it was only like that for a short time when I first added them. Since then it's been 99/100 and 35-50 humidity. I have no idea how so many got cracked unless my kids knocked them around. They are in the basement away from everyone. 3x is best I can do unfortunately working FT. I'd love any more advice. Eggs were very fresh too. Rotated inside at a good temp.
but even a short time as that monitors for 24 hours is enough to affect it, when you set up to hatch again I would check for 24 hours before putting in eggs to make sure it's stable, I tend to check bigger one with 4 different ones at same time in the corners and if I have a 5th available the center. you mentioned you added a fan in there, and it could be causing cool spots. but that's a 2.5 degree difference from what it should be and could possibly be what made them quit early. It does look like a nice cooler bator though.
Why is fan on side instead of up top with the heater?

but even a short time as that monitors for 24 hours is enough to affect it, when you set up to hatch again I would check for 24 hours before putting in eggs to make sure it's stable, I tend to check bigger one with 4 different ones at same time in the corners and if I have a 5th available the center. you mentioned you added a fan in there, and it could be causing cool spots. but that's a 2.5 degree difference from what it should be and could possibly be what made them quit early. It does look like a nice cooler bator though

Good points thank you! I did have it run for 3 days but I tried a different way to raise humidity and it got the paper towel wet and shot it up. Next time I'll just wait until it re-stabilizes. I hope the rest at least make it to lockdown. My last hatches were still air.

Good points thank you! I did have it run for 3 days but I tried a different way to raise humidity and it got the paper towel wet and shot it up. Next time I'll just wait until it re-stabilizes. I hope the rest at least make it to lockdown. My last hatches were still air.
yeah theres a lot of difference still air and fan, especially when fan is down on side closer to the eggs. I have my alarms set to 99 for low and 100 for high with a fan forced

AmyLynn was my savior on humidity, Elevation can have an effect on it too, if your humid you almost have to do a dry incubation , I'm high elevation and dry but do to elevation I had to stay at about 25-30% humidity until lock down then go up to 60-65% at most, not sure in your area. that was just to get more than 1 or 2 hatched but we got it up to 85% hatch rate without giving them oxygen, had to leave plugs out or vents open the whole time

yeah theres a lot of difference still air and fan, especially when fan is down on side closer to the eggs. I have my alarms set to 99 for low and 100 for high with a fan forced[/

I don't have a thermostat yet either. Temps were so steady I thought I'd be fine. This is my last hatch. I think I'll add one in the spring. I try to rotate position of the eggs too so they don't stay under the fan too long. Guess time will tell.

just don't give up, They didn't give up on my incubation issues when Iwas about ready to scream and light the evil incubator on fire for frying my hatch. a little goes along way once you already have them eggs in there

Back
Top Bottom