So many feathers, so little time....

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by ears73, Sep 30, 2008.

1. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I was wondering what people do with all the chicken feathers that scatter about.

I have heard about fly fisherman using them, and someone posted that her son made dream-catchers a few times, but I wonder what else people do with them, if anything?

If you have or can take pictures, please post them!!

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm not sure either but I'm saving the clean unpoopy ones. I remember reading that feather Christmas trees were popular when there was a shortage of pines. I don't know if only down feathers are used.

If nothing else I will make feather ornaments for the tree and maybe a large feather star tree topper. I will make feather garlands to intertwine with pine garlands. I love natural materials and the price of feathers at craft stores had been so high that I never made feather projects. All that has changed now.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    My daycare kids collected them and glued them on a chicken coloring page, it was a very easy fun project for the little kiddos to do.

4. frizzylizzy

frizzylizzy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2007
    I was wondering if anyone else collected feathers. My chickens free range, so I go around the property once or twice a day to collect them. I really enjoy collecting them and find it relaxing. I hope to use some of the hundreds of feathers that I have for Christmas crafts. One idea was to use them with blown eggs for Xmas tree ornaments. I will include a picture when I sort them out.

Elizabeth

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:If you can get the ends of feather to turn upwards, you can make come realy beautiful Christas trees. All you need is a cone shape piece of sytrofoam. Shorter finer feathers on top and larger thicker ones toward the bottom. If you sort them by color and graduate the colors downward it is really dramatic.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i am sending some to a lady so she can make cat toys for her kitten.

we save them and my kids do all sorts of crazy things with them. i thought the best was when one of the girls came in the living room with a bunch in her HAIR. she seriously wanted to wear them out. i figured, whatev!

7. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I would really like to see some pics of how feathers are used in ornamenrs.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Once I get going with them, I will post pictures. My girls aren't really cooperating though. I need white ones, and Rice N Beans is holding on to hers.

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Most go into the yard waste. The nicer ones go to a friend of mine who is an artist. I'm unclear if she uses the as a subject of her sketches or if she dips them in paint to use that way. Knowing her, probably both.

10. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Thanks for the ideas... I will try to make feathered eggs this winter - sounds like a very cool idea!!

I will have to experiment with glues and stuff to see what works... I'll post a pic when I get started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by