So many feeding questions... (homemade feeds, price, where to buy, yard scraps, etc) Help!?

My chickens wouldn’t eat the sprouted grains.
I tried different ones...no interest at all
:(
It’s extremely important to make sure you get a vitamin mineral mix to add if you’re going to make your own feed.
You can buy feed on Amazon too.
Shop around, maybe you’ll find something you like for a price you’re okay with.

Why don't you throw in a handful as scratch??? :idunno
I agree doing the wheatgrass sprouts BTW. :thumbsup Do the chickens pull out the complete plant and eat root and tops, or just snip off the greens?
They will eat the wheat sprouts whole, I do throw that in like scratch. They love it.
When I grow it to Wheatgrass size, about 3 inches high, i now chop up the wheat grass after I found one with a large blade of it sticking out of its mouth, he had swallowed the seed end haha!, he didn't seem to mind, but I got worried about them choking so now I rough chop it, depending on their size, I mince it pretty small for chicks and in half inch pieces for medium sized birds and not chopped at all for full grown ones. They like it alot but prefer spinach and other garden greens so lately I've just been giving them wheat sprouts more than wheatgrass, less work and they like it just as well, (especially on day 2 and 3 of it sprouting.)

You didn't mention how much your chicken feed was a bag. You seemed ecstatic at wheat being .30/lbs. That should be the same price as you chicken feed, approximately 15 dollars a 50 lbs bag which is 30 cents a pound. Medicated feed is a dollar more per bag.

You can get non medicated chicken feed that is not layer feed. Look for a grower feed or just ask for non medicated starter/grower. Layer feed is for actively or very near laying birds.

Do you have a local brewery near you? or any friends who brew their own beer? If so, they probably just discard the grain after it soaks and it works great to feed the flock.

I'm a relatively new chicken owner myself, and still learning, but I used DuMor brand feeds at my Tractor Supply, waiting to use layer feed until laying age (time frame guide was on the bad). I also give them a little scratch too. And essentially all of my kitchen scraps...bread, fruits, veggies...I did read to avoid potato peelings.
Avoid potato peelings if they are raw. Potato is from the Nightshade family. So is the tomato. Tomato fruit is OK for all to eat. The greens are toxic to chickens. Most chickens avoid tomato greens on their own. I know mine avoid the greens, but will wolf down the ripe tomatoes. Chickens naturally know what to select from among grass, weeds, as they free range. If they are stuck in barren run and the only thing green coming thru the run fence is a tomato plant, yes,,,,,,, they will peck on it.
I have cooked up potatoes whole, (unpeeled) as well as cooked the potato peeling and gave as chicken food. So far none developed any symptoms at all.
BTW,,, @MyChickenShack ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome

I like to give mine protein treats.
They love sardines packed in water.
Sometimes canned tuna or salmon.
They’re also big fans of a little cottage cheese or shredded cheese.
They scarf down meat scraps and chopped hard boiled/scrambled egg too. :drool

creating your own feed is not a trivial task, but is something you can do if you can get the ingredients. The most important component is the vitamin pack. IMHO Fertrell Nutri-balancer is the best available on the market and they also have the safest fish meal available. after that it's all about balance and choosing the right grains. With only four birds, it's likely way more work than necessary. If you still want to go down this path, PM me and I can provide you with some recipes and reading material. Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom