So many things!!! What do I do????

Thancock760

Songster
Jul 21, 2021
So, I am new to all this and ready to move the chicks outside in the next week. That being said, I am looking online for things to get for the girls for their run and coop etc. That said, I mean of course there are a million things you can get. Waterers, feeders, toys, oyster shell, mealworms, dust bath stuff, DE, coop cleaner, wound spray… what am I missing? Nesting stuff… fake eggs? Like- what do I need now??? 😫😩😫 clearly am first time owner and want to make sure I get this all right. (Hopefully without spending a zillion dollars overnight)

Three and a half weeks- we are in warm weather here, so keeping them cooped in brooder isn’t making much sense to me.

You don't need oyster shell until they're laying, even then its a supplement if they arent eating laying feed. Most people don't feed laying feed since it has a minimum amount of protein plus it shouldn't be fed to roosters or nonlaying hens. DE is useless, don't bother, in fact, it's harmful to breathe. Wound spray is a one and done purchase but it's good to have. Toys aren't necessary. You can use golf balls as fake eggs. What do you mean by dust bath stuff? Good Ole dirt is a great dust bath. But at this point, they only need food and water.

They will dust bathe in the dirt in the run.
Oyster shells are for when they are laying eggs.
Mealworms or treats should wait until they are older so that they eat all their feed and get the nutrients they need to grow and be healthy.
Toys are nice but they can be simple: logs, a chair, perches.
DE isn’t helpful. If you do use it, don’t breathe it in, it can cause lung damage.

Waterers, feeders, toys, oyster shell, mealworms, dust bath stuff, DE, coop cleaner, wound spray… what am I missing? Nesting stuff… fake eggs?
At there age now all you need is chick starter/grower and an appropriate size waterer. Fresh water every day. And the bedding of your choice. Most important is to make sure the coop and run outside is secure. No gaps or holes over half Inch. Think about varmints ability to dig in or fly in from the top. This stuff will always be formost for chicken owners. Everything eats chicken!
Oyster shell and fake eggs (I go cheap with golf balls) chickens dont know the difference, are far off in your future and you have time.
Meal worms, grit, toys may come soon, but dont stress about it. Do your research and take it a day at a time. Enjoy them every day.
Congratulations on your chicks !

You don't need oyster shell until they're laying, even then its a supplement if they arent eating laying feed. Most people don't feed laying feed since it has a minimum amount of protein plus it shouldn't be fed to roosters or nonlaying hens. DE is useless, don't bother, in fact, it's harmful to breathe. Wound spray is a one and done purchase but it's good to have. Toys aren't necessary. You can use golf balls as fake eggs. What do you mean by dust bath stuff? Good Ole dirt is a great dust bath. But at this point, they only need food and water.
Ha- ok!!! I just see all this fancy stuff about partial ash/de/soil for a dust bath. Roosts and things for them to do… good to know shellnis for layers only really. I don’t even know who might Or like but not be a hen or roo yet…..supposedly sexed… but I know how that goes…

They will dust bathe in the dirt in the run.
Oyster shells are for when they are laying eggs.
Mealworms or treats should wait until they are older so that they eat all their feed and get the nutrients they need to grow and be healthy.
Toys are nice but they can be simple: logs, a chair, perches.
DE isn’t helpful. If you do use it, don’t breathe it in, it can cause lung damage.
Thank you! In lieu of DE, what do people use for pests to keep their flock healthy and pest free?

Back
Top Bottom