SO much change every 3 days!

Sarjeanp

Songster
7 Years
May 26, 2015
Chicks change so quickly in general I’m learning. However, I created a thread called “My turn”, where I asked about this girl, because her comb was bigger than her sisters. I am now convinced this is a boy. So no need to guess the gender anymore, unless of course you disagree, which would not be an unwelcome opinion! :) I am shocked at how fast the comb and wattles are growing in! Here are the 3 pics, taken 3 days apart from the one in front. So, all this change in 6 days. The comb is now curving to the side. It just blows my mind at the speed. What have you noticed with your own chicks, just by blinking your eyes?!

Attachments

• AF7FB26E-EB94-4646-8B80-27F3FE1372C5.jpeg
    AF7FB26E-EB94-4646-8B80-27F3FE1372C5.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 14
  • BFC9683B-DB88-480A-9616-B336519C24DA.jpeg
    BFC9683B-DB88-480A-9616-B336519C24DA.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 13
I would have to agree with you it is a cockerel...how old and what breed? Not to much change in the comb but the wattles really dropped fast
In my original post, I said they were four weeks old, but I jumped the gun. They were born probably between the 15th and 17th Of April, making them four weeks old now. He is a white leghorn. Oh man, I see so much change in the comb, it is so much redder, and it’s grown so much that it’s curving over. I just might be a really sucky photographer! :) if you look closely in the second and third pictures, it’s kind of cool, you can see that he has some kind of double crease, and you can see that move. Kind of like a birthmark I suppose. :)

Chicks change so quickly in general I’m learning. (...) What have you noticed with your own chicks, just by blinking your eyes?!
I have very tiny bantams - Nankins - and I'm always shocked at how quickly they grow into their feet. When they first hatch, they're all legs and toes with a little yellow puff perched on top. It doesn't take long for them to balance out those "massive" little legs.
And you can almost watch their wing feathers grow. These little stinkers can fly out of a brooder box at a week old ... and across the room by two. Have you ever had to recapture a flying two-inch long fluffball? It's not my idea of fun, for sure, which is why we now brood in a guinea pig cage!

I have very tiny bantams - Nankins - and I'm always shocked at how quickly they grow into their feet. When they first hatch, they're all legs and toes with a little yellow puff perched on top. It doesn't take long for them to balance out those "massive" little legs.
And you can almost watch their wing feathers grow. These little stinkers can fly out of a brooder box at a week old ... and across the room by two. Have you ever had to recapture a flying two-inch long fluffball? It's not my idea of fun, for sure, which is why we now brood in a guinea pig cage!
LOL, perfect visual of a chick. Thankfully, I haven’t had one fly out, but they have come close. It tripped me out when the two week old buff Orpington was sitting on top of the watering tub one day. This is a lot of fun, my boys and I are really enjoying this. I could do without the temperature sensitivities though!

Back
Top Bottom