So much chicken drama! Please help! Info heavy!!!

ChxLadyCass

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
My flocks are all disorganized, and I have crowding and pecking because of it! I need to move ladies around, but I am overthinking how to do so in the best way for them all.

I have 3 flocks, 3 coops and 3 runs!

Flock 1's coop is 8'x8' with a 10'x24' run (I think), it's intended to house 16 chickens, 4 nest boxes and I believe over 16 feet of roost. It currently houses 5-6 chickens; 4 red stars, and 1 white hen (not sure of ages or for sure on breeds with these gals as I rehomed them in the past year), and then occasionally my sweet little ameracauna jumps in with them. They are my nicest, friendliest, best laying gals, and have access to free range most the time, but occasionally I do keep them in the run, because my other flock will beat up on my white hen until she's bloody while they are out free ranging.

Flock 2's coop is 4'x8' with the same size run as Flock 1, and is connected to Flock 1's run, separated by a wall of chicken wire and pallets. The roost is 8' and has 3 nest boxes. This flock has 9-10 (depending on the americauna's whereabouts) including a variety of hens, and my only rooster. There's literally one of every type of hen, except I have 3 black and red barnyard mixes, and 2 darker red hens. All of these hens are older (3-5 years), the youngest is 2 years old. They seem to struggle the most given their tight coop/roost situation. 2 or 3 of my hens will sleep outside when the weather permits. I get why!! Of the 2 dark red hens (Lily and Rose), Lily has been given the spot of the bottom of the pecking order, and it's really starting to show. Behind her comb, she keeps losing more and more feathers, and my roo tends to be a gentle guy, and I don't even see her with him often, so I think it's the gals. Especially the hen she came with when I rehomed her, Rose, who is identical and I thought they'd be bestie sisters 🤣.

Flock 3! Flock 3 is in a 8'x4' coop with 2 nest boxes and they won't use roosts yet, but there's 8' of roosts. I think their run is 13'x10'. I just bought these hens about 6 weeks ago, so they were just supposed to be quarantined in this space. They are feather pecked pretty bad from their previous situation. I'm afraid if I start moving hens around, and there is an aggressive hen in the bunch, their situations will worsen. A couple hens are worse than others. They do not free range much. Only if I can directly supervise them.

I have thought that I should move my quarantine Flock 3 coop and run, over to Flock 1, so they can see, but not touch for a while. Then, I may move some, but not all of Flock 3, into 1, leaving the worst feather pecked hens to heal. I just don't have a clue what to do about Flock 2.
What tips and ideas do you alk have for integrating these flocks to keep their injuries and stress to a minimum? I've read most the threads and articles I could, but am just overthinking this and looking for the obvious answers!!

God bless you for reading all of this!! It has been a really cathartic process for me! I will post pictures tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom