SO. MUCH. MUD. Thinking of putting a metal roof on run....

First, your peonies are beautiful! Looks very nice with the stone wall.

all the above info is correct...restructure walls for proper support, need a slope to the roof, need support throughout, not just edges.

however, if that is not feasible right now, then create a feed shelter, or smaller/shorter interior shelter, add cardboard or pallets on the ground to provide dry surface.

muddy runs are no fun!

I had a metal roof added over my runs - I can attach a photo to show you how the handy man did it if you are interested. Also - I have been using pine straw on their run floor to help with the mud. My chickas love it and it feels so clean to me.
I would love to see that! and thanks for the pine straw suggestion, I'll check at the feed store to see if it's something available in NY.

First, your peonies are beautiful! Looks very nice with the stone wall.

all the above info is correct...restructure walls for proper support, need a slope to the roof, need support throughout, not just edges.

however, if that is not feasible right now, then create a feed shelter, or smaller/shorter interior shelter, add cardboard or pallets on the ground to provide dry surface.

muddy runs are no fun!
Thanks! I drafted some tree limbs in there to give them something to get off the ground and put down a ton of shavings just to get them off the mud. Pallets are great idea, I bet the feed store would give me a couple.

Since we already bought the pre made runs and had two attached to the coop, the handy man built the roof as free standing, with enough room if we ever decided to take the runs down and redo to fit in to what he built. He said would not be stable enough to add roof to the runs directly (it is one of those Amish made coops). We will be staining it soon and of course can’t wait to have my flowers and herbs planted around. I have a native wisteria planted to train up and over so I might just go with it and leave the original run. Hopefully it won’t look too tacky once stained and flowers and herbs growing 😂

Attachments

• FB250180-5FCC-49D6-90A9-34AEB63A8C3E.jpeg
    FB250180-5FCC-49D6-90A9-34AEB63A8C3E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 2D44AFEF-F0AC-43E6-9BFA-50185B04183D.jpeg
    2D44AFEF-F0AC-43E6-9BFA-50185B04183D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Great recommendations! as I mentioned a bit earlier, the black rafters will go and we'll add in 2x6 rafters and a new top plate, probably double up alternating wall studs as well. Do we really need to add plywood and insulation if it's a structure open to the weather? That's a lot of load...
Either will work, you probably don't need both.

I'd do everything up to code for a house! You will be in it, so be safe.
When you decide to enclose it, even on three sides, having something under that metal roof will be good, and retrofitting is always harder.
Mary

Listen to @DobieLover about framing.

Meanwhile a good load of wood chippings
(from a tree trimmer or large untreated mulch)
would help with the mud,
after you take care of trenching to drain any standing water.

Pics of current conditions might help us help you.

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @BBHF1775
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 2023866
Agreed! Lots of great advice for the structure, just don't forget to plan for drainage away from the run.

Back
Top Bottom