So... much... poo...

Well, it seems like you might have already found the answer to your problem, but I'll chime in anyway.

Our coop is the exact same size as yours, and we have 21 birds. Now our birds mostly free range, and are only in the coop to sleep, so that definitely is a factor, but we have no smell in the coop whatsoever.

The trick for us consists of three things:

First, as you've discovered, is deep bedding! A minimum of 4 inches thick, and we turn it thoroughly once a week with a pitchfork, no matter how well the birds keep it stirred up.

The second is ventilation, and LOTS of it. We have a cupola, eaves vents, three windows and a dutch door on a 6 x 8 coop, and it's pretty much open all day (the windows and vents are hardware clothed and the door shuts tight at night to prevent predators.)

The third is keeping everything DRY. Make sure there are no leaks anywhere, the waterer's at an appropriate height to keep them from splashing, and, to the best that you can, there are drip caps, awnings, or overhangs to keep the rain out when the doors/windows are open.

We've had the same bedding in our coop since mid-February, and haven't had to clean it out yet.

The only time we've noticed a smell (and even then it's prett mild) is when it's rained for a few days and despite our best construction efforts, things are getting a little damp, plus they've spent more time in there than usual. Even then, we just do a thorough turn of the bedding with our trusty pitchfork, and any smell is gone within hours.

I can't (am not planning to) free range my guys; as pets I would find the loss of a single one distressing so unless I'm there with them they only get out in their run. It sure would be nice though! And I know THEY'd love it.

The fact that you are able to keep 21 in a same-sized coop speaks volumes for deep litter! I haven't had to change my coop out since I last posted and it's still looking pretty good in there. I've learned my lesson being skimpy with bedding i guess... it made sense at the time!

Thanks for your input BrickmanHouse, interesting to know that a well-managed coop can be so flexible

As another point of interest, we had some rain recently and the manure pile smelled so foul I couldn't stand it (thought something had died in there)! I bravely took the pitchfork to the pile and stirred the heck out of it with steam and urea vapours pouring from it. There has been nearly no smell since stirring it. Surprised me quite a bit!

Nugget I can't really add anything to what's been said. Lots of good advice.

Your coop is nicer than my house. It's a nice one.

Cat Scratch (everyone's gonna be wondering who cat scratch is). Great advice. First time I heard that about the 4 sq ft rule and it makes sense. I'm always learning BYC.

Cat scratch... lol
smile.png

My father in law is a contractor, and helping my husband and me with the coop was a fun project for him. If not for him it would have been a much simpler building. It's nicer than my house too lol!

I got the 4 sq ft/bird rule from books, but it's really good to know where the authors got that from. If, and when we find takers for the roos we'll have 7 standard hens and 1 bantam with 1 rooster, and I think that'll stay our limit. 15 is a lot of chickens
smile.png

Hey do any of you that are doing well by keeping the smell down have any pictures of your setup? Show us what your deep bedding looks like, your ventilation system, and whatever else you do to keep the smell down and keep the coop tidy. All suggestions, as always, are greatly appreciated. Let's see some pictures for ideas!

I just read this post for fun. Your coop is great! I would have loved being in on the building of that. Second, you have gotten some great advice! This forum is wonderful.
big_smile.png

I thought I'd throw this out there. So long as the coop is dry it smells not bad in there. The chicks knocked over the water in their pen and the urea smell was overpowering! With deepish litter (not quite "deep litter" yet) humid days bring out some smell.

There is a smell from the run on humid days. I saw flies all around the run the other day. I went out with a rake and raked it all out and put it on the compost. Much improved after this!

oh, thanks Smith2! You're right this is a great place for sharing ideas!

Back
Top Bottom