So much poop!

I'm not sure what I'm using yet, I was thinking sand... and scooping it daily (it'll clump like kitty litter) and changing the whole thing every week to week and a bit.

I've always kept mine in plastic totes with old news paper (free) on the bottom I never bothered shredded. Changed it once or twice a day depending on how many and age. Also with the plastic totes once a week I would take them outside a wash them out. Worked good for me and never had any problems to speak of.

Until a few days ago, I was putting kitchen paper towels over newspaper and changing the paper towels everyday in my cardboard-box brooder for ten chicks. Then I got smart. I put in two inches of peat moss three days ago and the poop literally disappears instantly because they scratch looking for the little chick feed nuggets that I occasionally scatter about a tablespoonful around. No smell, no fuss... Maybe next week I'll add another inch of peat moss on top of the old.

Quote:
I do the same thing - I have six that are just about a week old and the tote is starting to get a little small. Twice a day for now but I think I will have to expand the brooder as the bigger the chicks, the bigger the poop!

I had been cleaning my 4x4 brooder once a week. I have 14bantam chicks in it, and they're almost three weeks now. I cleaned it yesterday, and dh informed me this morning that it already stinks!

I put down 4 inches. Stir it up every day and add more on top as needed. I don't have to dump the brooder for the first two weeks. Then it is once a week until they move out to the barn. They also get outside time when it is warm so they aren't in there much of the day and are out on the ground.

Great idea JoeBryant!

The only reason mine smells is because the little turkeys keep making a mess witht he food then they empty the water onto it and it smells when the heat lamp heats it up.

Last edited:
To be quite honest, I would change the shavings when the smell got to be bad. At first it was once a week, then as they got older it was twice a week. Then I booted them outside!

I have 5 broilers in one rubbermaid tub and 4 layers in another rubbermaid tub. I change every third day on the mcnuggets (broilers) and every week on the layers. I was doing the nuggets every week until they "turned on" and started packing away the food after about a week and a half. Then they started to get stinky quick.

Back
Top Bottom