So much wasted feed!

Melo D

Chirping
Jan 1, 2022
Fairdealing, KY
I have 12 chickens for almost a year now. I use a hanging 5gal bucke with the pvc ports for feed. for the last couple months the are emptying it in just a few days. mostly on the ground in there sand run. It would probably be more economical to feed daily but I am lazy. I don't need one more thing to do before I go to work each day. When they empty it I just let them eat it off the ground for a couple days. do I need to make it a little higher maybe? Feed is too expensive for this much waste. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

I have 12 chickens for almost a year now. I use a hanging 5gal bucke with the pvc ports for feed. for the last couple months the are emptying it in just a few days. mostly on the ground in there sand run. It would probably be more economical to feed daily but I am lazy. I don't need one more thing to do before I go to work each day. When they empty it I just let them eat it off the ground for a couple days. do I need to make it a little higher maybe? Feed is too expensive for this much waste. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.
We have a similar setup, and what we do is take some chicken wire or something and fit it around the opening where the feed shows so that they can get their beaks through to peck at it, but can't scratch.

do I need to make it a little higher maybe? Feed is too expensive for this much waste.
I feed crumble out of homemade suspended 4" PVC feeders and have essentially zero waste. I suspend them about chest high.
IMG_20220815_155329355_HDR.jpg

I have almost the exact same feeder as you and I've also experienced quite a bit of waste. I started hanging it higher up and that has almost eliminated it.

Yep, the little gremlins seem to enjoy dumping feed.
Can you get a picture of it?
How big are the pvc ports? Do they have some sort of trough on them? How high is the feeder? What type of feed?

Back
Top Bottom