So new I haven't started YET!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AaronMPentz, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I am so new to chickens I haven't even started YET!

My name is Aaron Michelle, married, mom of two kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 rabbit. I own happy tails pet parlor and work from home grooming dogs...

I have loved animals my whole life and I hope to have a small flock by next summer. I am dedicating this summer to research, preparation, and convincing my husband that I and our 2 kids NEED a small flock of hens!! The goats will come later! LOL!

At this time I am collecting pallets and planning a coop in the back section of our .995 acre lot. There was a cruddy old playhouse that a previous owner had built for her little girl. I kept asking my Husband to get rid of it.

....Well, I went out there today to check it out and once the rotted roof and a few rotted board were removed it is a perfect start to my pallet coop. it even has a "window" which I will make into the chickens ramp to their outside run.

I have contacted a local hardware supply store and have permission to come weekly and collect whatever pallets they have available.

I have alot to learn but can't wait to start!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. You've come to the right place to learn. :thumbsup

3. chickendoglovre

chickendoglovre New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    Knowing husbands, yours will probably break through. He will realize later that he loves you and your kids enough to allow a small chicken coop LOL :)!!! Good luck, I know you'll enjoy your chicks once your husband allows them [​IMG]

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    Pretty cool what useful you can find in the garden, eh? :p There was an old chicken coop in ours, but it was falling apart and had no useable nest boxes. We managed to turn that into a nice spacey area, just goes to show what can be done. Good luck! Enjoy the site. :D

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

A couple little chicks might go a long way toward persuading your husband

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Good to have you learning with us. You're gonna LOVE this site!
    Good luck with you endeavor!

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by