*SO not cool!!*

Quote:
No its ok! I needed a laugh about now! LOL

Thanks!
lol.png

lol.png

OP- I don't have advice but this got me to smile too.

Edited to add- wait- yes- make sure you are offering oyster shell to your girls to keep the eggshells strong. It might help.

Last edited:
I went through the same problem this week with my new gals,eating the eggs as soon as laid,huge free-for-all...I was advised to up the protien on my new gals...after 2 days I am getting all of the eggs laid !! I am feeding a mix of Layer pellets,mixed frozen veggies,BOSS,scratch and kitten chow in the evenings....pellets availible all day...

GOOD LUCK!!

I had a hen that did this. I really think the only way is to figure out which one is doing it. I only have 6 chickens, but I separated them for several hours in cat carriers until they had laid eggs. Then I figured out which one didn't have hers. If you have to, you quarantine the one who is eating them to be sure that the rest aren't continuing to do it.

All 15 of my hens were doing this also. So, My husband got the clever idea of moving their nesting boxes above eye level. My hens stoppped immediately. When they couldn't see them, they didn't eat them.

Perhaps you could try to put golf balls in the nest. When nothing happens when they peck at they may loose interest.

I have someone who likes to 'lay' while they are 4 1/2' off the ground on the roost. I have to be down there bright and early to finish smashing the egg and cover it up. I did have someone lay a good egg on the floor and I just had a feeling someone was going to get to it before I did. Sure enough, a 15wk old Delaware got to it before I did. She jumped down on it, broke it, ran three steps, did a screeching halt, ran back and got one beak full before I got a foot upside her like a football getting kicked into the end zone. I have young pullets and Silkies laying on the floor and all the eggs are safe - she's never tried it again. I have golf balls and wooden dummy eggs in the boxes for the girls, too.

Good luck with whatever you try.

I had the same problem. I added extra soft hay, more cushion and less resistance , then I increased their protein intake and added extra oyster shell meal. Then for finishers I made sure I was the first to the nest and left only a stone egg, alabaster, because it holds heat like a real egg in the nest. It must have given her a headache because she quit breaking them.
gig.gif

Quote:
Probably even the hottest peppers would not be a deterrent. Chooks' "tastebuds" function differently.

My Black Australorps think Habaneros and Jalapenos are tasty and worth fighting one another over...I can't say about other varieties.

I think hot mustard as "mtnhens4" suggested (different type of "heat" than peppers) may work well, or something else exceptionally bitter and/or astringent, but non-toxic. You're on the right track though - if they can be taught to associate something inedible with a raw egg, that accomplishes what you want. Keep trying!

Lightfoote

I've heard that you should place fake eggs or golf balls in the nest. The egg eater will peck them and get nothing, and might be discouraged. Also, make the nesting box area very dim.....even if you have to hang a curtain or something to block the sun......

I sure hope everything works out for ya,
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom