So now what??????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wild Chicken, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    Ok.....so we have a rooster that is about 6 months old, eating layer mash now, and has pine bedding in the coop. Because of other symptoms with other chickens, we have wormed and dusted for mites/lice. We did that on Saturday.....so now one of our roos is "purring". There is no discharge from nose, eyes, and everyone is eating great!! I have also given them yogurt and some probiotic paste I got from the feed mill.

So what now????? [​IMG] I am getting sooooo frustrated. This is our second year with chickens and it seems like everything has hit at once. It has been a very wet, cold summer for us, and currently it has been cold and raining.

Does anyone have any advice???? I'm at a lose [​IMG] , and I always get the help I need here [​IMG]

I will be headed to the feed mill again tomorrow for whatever else I am going to need.

Thanks in advance,
    Amy

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    What do you mean by "'purring'". Do you mean that he's wheezing or rattling?
    I know some of our chickens (roo's and hens) will make a sound when they are content that sounds like a purr.
    If he is wheezing or rattling an antibiotic may help, and you should quarantine him. Keep him warm and dry. Sorry, I'm not very good with internal issues, but that's what I do know.
    Hope he's OK!

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Is it more of a gurgle than a purr. Kinda like raspy breathing? The reason I ask is because some chickens trill or at least that is what I call it. Hubby calls it purring.

Edit: I think me and the above poster had the same thought at the same time

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  4. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    It is not a sound that he normally makes and it is a raspy/wheezy sound.

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Not knowing what all went on before I'll suggest that the dust you used has irritated his airway. Not an uncommon occurrence when using dust of any kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by