So........opinions, thoughts, ideas, emotional outburst?

I admire you for taking in these orphans, thats how I ended up with my muscovies, dicards. so sad, but I'm hooked now and wouldn't trade them for anything. I have to agree with Celtic though, ducks and pond, lake sounds so nice but they can still be picked up off the water by hawks, owls eagles etc. and being white they are going to stand out like a sore thumb, I know i have 3 solid white muscovies. Once you take them to the lake you may have a hard time getting them to go into a house to be locked up at night. Does your lake have vegetation along the edges so they will have places to hide during the day if theres a threat flying over head? I wish you the best in taking in these little ones and by the way they are adorable, Just remember there are alot of dangers out there and you take a big risk letting them out on to the water. We have a mt. river down below our home but I don't let my ducks, goose go down to it, over protective maybe but I haven't lost any of them in almost 9 years now. and they free range around our home and property. But saying this if I had a pond on my property I'm sure I would let them be in it when old enough, I drool when i see folks that have ponds. But most of them don't have ducks or geese on it. Kinda strange if you ask me.

Thanks.. I couldn't just let me be released. I knew they'd never make it.
The back side of the lake is wooded and has some tall grass around it.
We do have an older Pekin already on the lake. We had two but one died a few weeks ago.
So when these four finally make it to the lake, they will have our older Pekin to learn from and pal up with.

Just thought I would add alittle more to this post. Last year I purchased chickens and ducks, and at the time I had to purchase 6 of each according to NY agricultural laws. At the time I really thought it was ridiculous but I totally respect it after finding out the hard way. I did not purchase on a whim, did lots of research and read everything I could get my hands on. I have always been a huge animal and bird lover and have had many indoor birds over the years, so I thought I was prepared. I kept 3 chicks and 2 ducks and have enjoyed them thoroughly. However I didn't think about their safety as much as I should have and I lost my female duck that summer because I didn't pen them up one afternoon before we left for the evening. She was just gone-no feathers, no sign anything got her, but I learned a lesson the hard way. I haven't let them free range without supervision since then, but I still lost my other duck just a few weeks ago. I was out with them but went inside for a few minutes to take care of some laundry and when I came back out he was gone. I had spotted a fox on the hill the night before and the only thing I can think is he was laying in wait for the perfect opportunity and I supplied him with it. I will miss him for a long time and my heart aches because of the mistake I made. So don't think they are safe free ranging during the day-because they can be snapped up in a moment, and continue to rescue for you give them safety and a chance at a life they probably wouldn't have otherwise. I am hoping for a few of Spunky's offspring since I had gotten him a friend at the beginning of mating season, and if I am lucky enough to get a second chance, I will watch over them and be as protective as their momma. As for those who buy them for their cuteness at Easter-maybe there should be a higher limit in all states.

I wonder, as part of my emotional outburst, what on earth makes a baby animal (of any kind) an impulse purchase? I mean, I used to rescue overgrown iguanas that people discarded when the iguana got "too big" to handle. I just don't understand the need to make any such sort of impulse purchase of a creature of any kind. I simply have never been, nor ever will be that sort of person. No, I'm more like you. I'm the person who rescues those that would be discarded. Good job on the birds, they are beautiful and clearly they are now in the right place.

Totally understand what you are saying.

The other side of the coin though is, if bought at the cutie stage, they grow on you and probably bond better to you and your ways.

I've always bought adults - except recently when I was bought two Indian Runner ducklings, but there is no danger these will be discarded.

[[[[........if bought at the cutie stage, they grow on you and probably bond better to you and your ways.......]]]]]

I don' think anyone has issues with the purchase of adorable ducklings by persons who want ducks and who have spent at least a minimum amount of time learning how to take care of them. 5 minutes on the Internet will teach you that they need a brooder and what to feed them; it's not like information is difficult to come by..

The problem that we are all having is with people who never thought about poultry and buy some cute chicks or ducklings as toys for their kids and then discard them after a few days (or even months) because they are stinky, or it costs money to feed them, or it is not legal for them to have poultry where they live.

Sadly, there are people out there who will do it to human babies, so ducklings don't stand a chance. There are a lot of people out there who simply throw away anything that isn't convenient and don't stop to think about whether or not they need something before they buy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom