So perhaps this is the way to do it... set and then LEAVE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cherlyn, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I am setting a dozen coturnix today. On the morning of the 8th, I will lock them down, and then I will get on a plane and travel approx. 5240 miles to the Happiest Place on Earth.

I will have a friend here, of course, who will stay at the house and monitor the incubation. He knows to move the quail to the brooder when all have hatched, and that is pretty much the extent of his duties - everything will be ready ahead of time.

And I will not be here, with my face pressed to the window, shining a flashlight on the eggs approximately every 6.2 minutes, squinting to see a pip. I will be in my happy place. And when I come back to my home in England, my babies will be two weeks old, none of them having been helped into the world.

It will make for a nice experience.

Unless, of course, I pester my friend for updates every 6.2 minutes.

No. I must not.

~Cherlyn

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Have a good time. I'm sure everything will be ok. GOOD LUCK !!

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Have a great trip, and enjoy yourself. If I were going from here to England, I'd be saying that I was going to the Happiest Place on Earth. I never tire of visiting England, and would go back anytime. My wife and I just have to have my buddy along because I won't try to drive there.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I couldn't do it - I can barely go to sleep at night without getting up and checking!

5. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I know what you mean. I have to peek every few minutes and I candle at day 3 and then every couple days [​IMG] I can't help it-I'm addicted [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Texting every five minutes does NOT count as harassment...

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Putting 5420 miles between yourself and the eggs seems like a fairly reliable way to prevent you from opening the incubator at any rate. [​IMG]

8. Xero

Xero Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    I've gotten very good at telling myself no. That doesn't work it becomes NONONONONONONONO and NO!

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

make it happen, receive *gift* when get home, a dozen coturnix seeing momma come home. [​IMG]

10. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:Amen to that! [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by