So Proud of my girl! FIRST EGG !!!

Scissors65

Songster
May 8, 2019
Palmetto, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I just have to share! One of my leghorns laid her first egg! She is 18 weeks old tomorrow. I think she laid it today, but not quite sure.
I have two leghorns Opal and Pearl and two New Hampshire's Scarlett and Ruby.
A little over a week ago Opal started squatting whenever I approached her. Her sister Pearl started doing this about three days ago, so I knew they were getting ready. I started checking the nest boxes, but I forgot to check yesterday. Besides this egg was stuffed in a corner and was hard to see!
Today when I got home from work and let the girls out for a bit after dinner, Pearl literally jumped in my arms, and I was standing up! She has never done this before! I don't think she laid the egg because Opal was the first squatter, but maybe she did, and was egg-cited to tell me??
I didn't even know the egg was in their nest box until I decided to check for mites and clean up the coop a bit.
I had placed wooden eggs in each of the three nest boxes. So as I was throwing away the old hay, I was tossing the wooden eggs to the ground. I glanced out of the corner of my eye to the wood eggs laying in the grass, and I realized, one of the wooden eggs didn't look like wood!!
I am so surprised it didn't break when I tossed it to the ground!
I feel like a proud momma! The egg is so perfect!! I just had to share!!!:ya
first egg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom