So proud of my Roo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by confusedturtle, Jul 27, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    This chicken has always been a favorite of ours, when we found out he was a rooster we considered getting rid of him but just didnt have the heart to do it. He hasn't crowed yet so I am praying when he finally does that it is not a very loud or annoying crow. I have read about how great they are at protecting their flocks but I have never witnessed it. I have seen my roo (Lovey) break up a couple squables and get between my BO mix when she was going after my little GSL chick but nothing else, until today [​IMG]
    I never let the dogs out when the chickens are free ranging, they get all excited and jump at the chickens when they are inside the locked coop I dont know what would happen if they were loose. Well today my youngest child accidentally let the dogs out while I was watching the chickens range in the backyard. At first the dogs were good and listened to me and stayed away. Slowly our foo-foo fluffy attack maltiepoo (insert sarcasm here) snuck up on the flock and decided to jump at them and chase one. Lovey ran right up to him, stuck his chest out and sqwaked at him. The dog stopped dead in his tracks and stared at Lovey, this while all of the girls darted behind Lovey and back into the coop. He stood his ground until they were all safe then ran into the coop after them. By the time Lovey got into the coop I had swatted the dog with my fly swatter and any thoughts of chasing the chickens were out of his mind. It happened so fast I didnt have time to react, but I am so proud of Lovey my big ole roo for standing up for his girls and keeping them safe [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    I'm so glad for you that Lovey stood up to the dog, it could have been terrible:barnie It's nice to know that he is there for his girls and maybe the dog learned a lesson too:)

3. SilkieMomma

SilkieMomma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Way to go Lovey!![​IMG]

4. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Im glad your roo wad there

5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hurray! Good job [​IMG]

6. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Way to go, Lovey!

7. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

What a good roo! Go Lovey! [​IMG]

8. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Way to stand up for your girls, Roo!

9. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I hope my two roos, Lynn and Svend can do the same, and protect their girls. He is a keeper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by