So sad-Not even MY chickens.

BittyBanty

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Albuquerque
My neighbor had 6 production reds, a hen turkey and an elderly duck in a pen inside his WALLED back yard. The dog in the yard next to him climbed from the dog house to the shed roof (in it's own yard) and down into my neighbor's yard. It chewed through the welded wire surrounding the bottom of the pen and killed every single bird inside. We know it was this dog since it couldn't escape. It was a masacre in there.

My neighbor (Joe) called the city hotline and they came and took the dog away. I think they are going to destroy it since there is some ordinance about dogs that kill livestock or poultry here. The other neighbors are in an uproar over the dog and my peaceful "hood" has turned into a battle zone. Now I am worrying about my birds if this dog comes back and can get out as it pleases or the dog owning neighbors decide they hate chickens and start calling to complain. My birds have enjoyed the entire summer cage free except at night and it will break my heart to have to pen them again. ::sigh::

hugs.gif
to your neighbor.

What a mess - all the way around. Poor chickens and other fowl. Poor neighbor whose flock was destroyed. I even feel badly for the dog owner, assuming that the dog is normally contained and pulled a Houdini somehow. And you're right - it'll worry you to death if that dog comes back, that it could happen again... I hope your neighborhood calms down and that things work out...
sad.png

Sorry for the loss to your neighbor. Why the neighborhood uproar? The dog owners should be ashamed not complaining! If the dog returned I would shoot it the second its paw landed in my yard.

Back
Top Bottom