What type of fencing do you rural folk use?

Red-tailed Hawk

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2013
I'm not new to rural living, but I am new to neighbors who let their dogs roam. I have at least 3 neighbors where I currently live on several acres who let their large dogs roam free. Talking to them doesn't work and I'd rather not deal with the headache and drama of either shooting their dogs or calling animal control. I know some of the neighboring acreage are annoyed by the roaming dogs, but nothing changes other than whose dog is roaming. Simplest solution is to install fencing that is strong enough to keep out the dogs whose owners don't care what they do. We live on a busy road that according to a neighbor has killed lots of dogs, but some people feel it is worth the risk. My current fencing keeps my poultry when they are foraging and not confined in their enclosed run has been breached by dogs repeatedly. (As in several days in a row.) Our dog is either supervised, inside, or in a large dog run since the house didn't come with a fence and we haven't installed one yet. So, I'm trying to figure out what type of fencing to use. My property has a lot of acreage out front and out back. If I was in the suburbs I would just go with chainlink or privacy wood fence. I would just be fencing a couple acres around my house (both in front and in the back) and want something that would look good. What does everyone else use to keep your dogs and poultry contained and marauding dogs out? Pictures would be helpful if you don't mind. Thanks for your help.

When we bought our 1.6 acres with a house & a small barn on the property, the back yard was completely fenced in with wood privacy fencing.
When I decided I wanted chickens, we put up chicken wire along the bottom of our deck so the chickens wouldn’t be able to escape from under the deck. Then I planted flower beds in front of the chicken wire … the flowers detract from the chicken wire.
When my first flock “discovered” our above ground pool (they were flying up & walking the ledge around the pool!), I told my husband we were separating our back yard into 2 parts. The chicken play yard, and our back yard.
Since I wanted to be able to observe the girls while they’re in their play yard, we used fencing 4’ or 4 1/2’ tall with oblong squares - about 2” x 3” maybe??
If you’re putting full grown girls in your fenced in area, be sure to clip one wing. Otherwise they’ll fly out for sure!!

My girls don't even hop chicken wire. My main concern is the neighbor dogs. We have several acres and I'm planning on fencing probably 2.5 of them. But I am concerned about the stupid neighbor dogs either hoping the fence or breaking it. Ironically 3 from one house were just here and tried going after my chickens again. They have a big one and 2 tiny ones, as in smaller than a cat (maybe terriers?). I chased them off but it is frustrating that it is considered normal here to let your dog wander for miles.

Electric fence is what I have over my hardwire cloth. My run is 16x24 with a roof because neighbor dogs and hawks are always around. WHY do people have dogs if they aren't going to take care of them? It's infuriating. Good luck to you.

Field fencing with a couple strands of electric fence around it does a wonderful job keeping most predators out especially dogs (nose high to zap them in the mouth)I recommend field fencing as it has smaller openings on the bottom so it'll keep out small or large dogs.Electric fence is strong deterrent for bob cats as well.Good luck!

Electric fencing, is your friend! The electrified poultry netting (Premier1supplies.com) is really good against ground predators, for a fenced chicken area.
You will need a really safe coop and run, and then a larger area for your birds, where the electrified fencing pays off.
We also have horses, and our birds (mostly) don't fly over the five foot horse fence. It's 2"x 4" woven wire, four feet tall, with electric rope or tape above. Some dogs will respect it, but digging dogs won't have a problem. For them, electric also low to the ground is needed.
Goat fencing, 4"x 4" woven wire, will work pretty well if set up with electric, although some small chickens and dogs could get through it. Field fencing is too open, IMO.
Mary

I don't know if I'm rural. I'm well outside city limits in low density residential. I use welded wire for my run. Open top so am looking into electric wire. Racoons and possums are my biggest threat. Have seen some fox. Foxes? Foxi? Reports of coyotes, but those are years apart and not exactly in my area.

Back
Top Bottom