So Sad

harleysville homesteader

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Harleysville, PA
This is my first post and I hate that it's a sad one.

We have been raising 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Barred Rocks since March and they've been happily living in their coop and run for a few months now.
They were looking beautiful and I've been thinking that ANY day I'd be getting our first eggs...
I went to check them this evening - carrying fresh food and water and excited about poking around the nesting boxes hunting for a hidden egg when I was hit with the most terrible sight ever.
All my little hens dead - feathers everywhere!

I'm not sure what happened - it's not like anything "ate" them. They are just attacked and dead. The only opening in the run (a converted dog run - originally chain link - reinforced with welded wire fabric 3' up, a top of welded wire fabric and solid CMU blocks around the base of the run) is at the door 3' above ground and not big enough for anything substantial to fit. I'm not even sure what could have gotten in there to do all that damage and I'm just completely devastated that I lost my whole beautiful little flock so suddenly.

I was surprised at how emotional I got... Those little chickens were really starting to grow on me...
hit.gif

Yes they do. Im so sorry for your loss. I had a few day old chick carried off by a bluejay the other day. I was so heart broken for the baby and its suffering and the mama hen. She had gone after the baby over a fence. You need to figure out what got into your "secure" area or at least how they did. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss!
sad.png

Perhaps it was a weasel? I do hope you can figure out what happened, so it won't happen in the future. I can't imagine how devastated you must feel!

Robin

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how bad it is as I have just experienced a big loss as well. Good luck securing your run. It is amazing the small spaces some of these critters can fit through...

Back
Top Bottom