So someone is trying to convince me I need goats...

MichiganWoods

DD (Artistic Digital Diva)
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
:eek:
th.gif
My chickens aren't even hatched yet.

I was talking with the gal I got my second set of eggs from (to let her know that despite being refrigerated, they were fertile and are developing), and she told me I needed to get a pair of female goats so that we would have fresh milk on hand at the house all of the time.

I don't know. How hard are goats to take care of? I've never ever thought about any sort of livestock animal (except chickens) before, and am completely clueless.

I need a little convincing. Anyone want to give it a shot?

I told the lady I couldn't get anything until spring time anyway because I needed to work on finishing up my run (the big coop is finished as of today!), rather than work on building a barn for goats to live in.

Well I'll join in and attempt to convice you further! Goats milk, fresh and gathered yourself...is SO good.

Goats aren't easy keepers as so many will lead you to believe. Do your research first...take your time...buy good goats when you're ready.

I love my goats. Right now, I only have two Nubian does, but I am getting more this Spring. I use to raise Nubians and Boers for 4-H. Once I got my own place, I had to get goats again. They aren't harder to care for than other animals. I feed mine twice a day with grain and hay. Both of my girls are bred. In fact, one is due any day. They do need wormed like other animals. I have a bucket of minerals out of them at all times. I am going to use my girls for the fresh milk. I can't wait.

You have to watch some goats, because they are know to be great at getting out of their pens. I don't have any trouble with my girls. They are very good. They are very loving. My two year old son loves them. They are great with him. I think goats are a great idea. You just have to decide what kind to get.
big_smile.png

They are personable, provide fresh milk etc. plus you can make goat cheese, goat milk soap and I am sure there are other crafts that use goats milk!

We have 2 Nigerian Dwarf Goats, they are so sweet and loving. Mild mannered too
frow.gif

I got out and visit with the at least 2 times a day. Everytime I step onto the back porch they "call" to me with there "baaa"
clap.gif

Just think about it hard and research your breed you want if you get really serious. We "thought about if for 2 yrs" first!

Then I bought 2 books about goats and looked online ALOT to read as much as I could.

Fiasco Farms has a great website with LOTS of info.

wendy

Last edited:
We are picking up our first two does this coming week, so I don't have any practical experience yet. I'll let you know how it's going and how it compares to what I thought it would be once they are here.

Like all animals they have their quirks as do chickens and cattle and anything else. I love my fresh goats milk and I even have a milk cow and another that I will train when she is old enough. I dont let anyone pressure me about anything. Its something to think about as they do need milking everyday and sometimes twice a day come rain or shine and snow...Sometimes I wish I didnt have to but when I get out there and start talking to my girls and I have 26 ladies out there ranging in all different ages I change my mind.
If you take vacations you have to have someone feed and milk them if they are milking and when you go somewhere you know you have to be back at feeding times...Make sure this is what you want to do ...if not wait till you do. I have all types of goats from Nubians, Alpines , La Manchas and Nigerian Dwarfs. I love all of mine and even the 2 very stinky bucks ...they love going on walks and browsing.
Goats are great therapy and all that goes with them. I love all of mine and getting another soon from a friend. Just make sure its what you want...thats the way I do things...good luck in your decision.

Funny, everyone on BYC and SS tries to convince me to get some. Everyone in my real life tries to convince me not to. They try to tell me they get into a lot of trouble. But only a few of them actually own goats so I'm probably going to listen to the BYC folks! Mostly because I really want goats.....

We are down to just one goat but we'll get more. I want a milk goat.
smile.png

We have a half Boer wether or as we like to call him "Sonny No Nuts". He is an escape artist. But when he does get free he only goes to the porch where he goes up the steps and lays down. If he would just stop leaving goat eggs up the steps and on the porch .... they are the poopin'est things you ever saw! But he's sweet and a very good weed and brush eater. Keep the hooves trimmed and keep him wormed and he's happy. And if I have a plant outside I really like and he gets free ... he will eat it. He knows what plants I like!

good fences (and I mean super strong, indestructible) fences, make good goats. They are also adept at climbing under fences and I've even had goats that would push those curved nails out of fence posts.

They love to climb on things and will eat a lot of stuff. Ironically, ours didn't care a whole lot for some of the coarser grasses we had growing in our pasture.

Try to avoid horns because they can be scary.

Overall, goats can be great or awful. It depends on their personality, and the state of your fences
big_smile.png

We ended up deciding we weren't goat people. More Sheep people. We love our sheep. They don't give milk but I love spinning their wool!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom