So someone is trying to convince me I need goats...

Quote:
That is what one of my friends is trying to convince me. I'm a perpetual beginning knitter but she will be giving a spinning workshop soon and I am going. She has three sheep, two of which are shetlands. I am in love with her shetland whether. He gives kisses. I do like goats' milk and cheese though. I suppose I could eventually have a few of each.... but I'm getting ahead of myself and taking over the thread.
hmm.png

I have heard of some sheep that you can milk. I am not sure what breeds. Maybe you can found one that you can use for spinning and milking. I am a spinner, too. I am going to be getting some sheep in the spring. I know I want atleast one shetland if not two of them. I like several other breeds too. Just some thing to think about.

Wow! You should check the prices on A.I. gear before you commit yourself to it. Also, it's very hit-or-miss. You have to be the buck and recognize when the doe is in heat. It's not always obvious.
I love my bucks. They're so sweet. They are stinky in the fall, but it's tolerable. They won't make the milk icky if you maintain some distance between the bucks and does. You'll only need on buck and a wether to keep him company. I have LaManchas and Nigies. If I had it to all over again, I'd just have LaManchas. They're very, very sweet. The Nigies are, however, more hearty.

Once while my brother-in-law was here, I told Anne that she was a "p!**-poor" farmer's wife because she would not agree to milk a little, brown-eyed jersey that I'd always dreamed of having.

My brother-in-law chimed in and said that he agreed that I was a "p!**-poor" farmer but he hadn't expected me to ever admit it.

I have six and a half acres, so I would like to have goats too but, sadly, my wife is too lazy to milk anything morning and night. It's the farm wife who's supposed to milk the family cow or goat. Yet, there are some women who...

Now I'll admit I only know cows, but did you realize that its the bull that carries the enzyme that kicks in to begin the dilivery of the calf? We actually had a bunch of cows A.I.'d to this one bull, recieved phone calls from the company- to late on several cows. That is the issue of breeding to a new bull.
Not to sure if this works in Goats, I only know of a few goat farmers and they love the goats, wouldn't trade them for the world. I've seen a few in action and understand the saying "getting your goat"- lol.

Heres the best way I can try and talk you into goats lol

bondingtime2.jpg

ngheadshot.jpg

lucy-2.jpg

blackandwhite.jpg

Jasmineface.jpg

malewether.jpg

thisthecows.jpg

Sorry for all the pics... but dont they make you wanna go buy a goat? *smirks*

Back
Top Bottom