So talk to me about molting...

It may just be temporary. When they molt, they are grouchy, don't feel good, don't like being touched, etc. It can't feel good to have all those pins sticking out.

I haven't had any pecking order changes, but my top hen is molting right now and she's super mellow right now. If I sit down, she'll come sit by me. (and she's always been a flighty girl) Nobody else is bothering her.

My 3 productions hens (hyline browns) are 1-1/2 years old and have never really molted at all. A few feathers here and there and no loss of egg production. We do provide light in the coop when the days get short so they have 12 hours of light in winter. I also have 3 black stars who are 26 weeks old and recently started laying. They did lose a lot of baby feathers when they got their adult feathers - but never any bald spots. Do some chickens never go through serious "hard" molts? Is molting related to light? To breed? Anything else? It is now October and the nights are getting pretty cool here in North Carolina - we shall see what happens.
S.

Quote:
Yes, molting is triggered by shorter days - so if you are adding light, then their bodies don't know when to molt.

So, is it a problem if they never go through a "hard" molt? Or do they adjust?

S.

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

I was just curious on when my hens will start molting? They are 7 months old. And all are laying eggs. When should I expect a molt? Will I get eggs during this molt? Do they all molt at the same time? How many times will them molt in one year?
Thank you in advance.
smile.png

My hens molted around eight months old, Nov/Dec. This was a partial molt and they do stop laying. I thought they were crazy to loose their feathers in winter! I live in MN and do not provide supplimental lighting and the only heat is a 75 W night light reptile bulb. They started laying again in January. They are currently molting again, but this time it is a full molt for most of the birds. They are not molting all at the same time, but within a month or two. Here are some pictures, journal and egg laying diary for my flock .​

Quote:
Yes, molting is triggered by shorter days - so if you are adding light, then their bodies don't know when to molt.

So, is it a problem if they never go through a "hard" molt? Or do they adjust?

S.

Their feathers will get really raggedy. I don't add any light, so I'm not sure if not going through a molt affects their ability to keep warm or not.

Back
Top Bottom