So, Tell Me About Golden Comets

billfields

Songster
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
East Tennessee
I'm about 99% sure my Meyer Meal Maker Program free chick is a Golden Comet. Pictures are below. I've read the catalog description and I know she's a hybrid layer but what else can y'all tell me about them? Personality? Habits? Aggressiveness? She has always been one of the friendlier chicks but once out of the brooder and into the coop she's somewhat less so. Still eats out of my hand, still curious and confident with the other chicks but less tolerant of being picked up or handled. What sort of hen will she turn out to be? Interested in folks' experiences with them.

First as a day old chick then at a month old...

40181_hortence.jpg

40181_hortence3.jpg

40181_hortence2.jpg

40181_hortence1.jpg

I have a bunch of golden comets as layers and they make great egg layers but I do not mess with mine much as far as handling as chicks (way to many chicks here) and they tend to be flighty and noisy. They will come up to me when I stop moving and peck at my shoes but have no interest in being held or touched.

Quote:
Thanks. I understand they lay lots of eggs...brown? And it looks like she is going to be a pretty hen so I'm happy with her.
smile.png

As the free chick she just sorta arrived..all the rest I had read up on and knew what to expect so she was the only one with a bit of surprise to her. The older she gets the prettier she gets. I hadn't really gone for reds and buffs (except for a Buff Orpington) so she is distinctive looking in the flock

I am new to chicken raising and out of my nine-five are golden comets. They are very nice so far and get along really well with my others. One of the golden comets always comes up to the food and water door when I am refilling-and she really likes to be petted. I am hoping the others will too, eventually.

Yep, big, huge brown eggs. I like mine and if they are handled they are a lot friendlier than what mine are. I just have way to many chicks here to handle them all.

My golden sex link was a real sweetie, but had to get used to being held over the first 3 months. She was a bitof a diva, but was very gentle and docile otherwise. Great eggs!

Back
Top Bottom