So. TX move out to coop?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lauriruth, Jan 4, 2011.

  1. lauriruth

    lauriruth Songster

    Note to self: Don't order day-old chicks in November.....

    The setup: Catawba Coop; 4'x8' downstairs run; 8'x1.5'x1'H upstairs "coop"; not enough room to hang lamp upstairs.
    The chicks: 3, 8-wk. old EE (one confirmed Roo that will be re-homed soon [​IMG])
    The issues: They seem to have alot of fluff still. Lots of real feathers, as well. The weather here has been balmy lately and they spent 3 days in the coop last weekend: chilly at night so i brought them in for sleep-overs in the brooder. It's been raining all this week with a high in the 50's. Next wk they're forcasting our first arctic cold front. I don't see it getting significantly warmer until March.
    The question: Can i move the darlings out permanantly, or should i keep them in the house (EE's are MUCH more active than my other girls were!)?
    The dilema: Parnoid, over-protective, chicken mom....

    Anyone want to feed my addiction?
  2. growinupinfl

    growinupinfl Songster

    Apr 2, 2010
    I know that most of the time you should wait till they have most of their feathers. The feathers are going to help keep them maintain their body heat.

    . I have 8 weekers that were hatched under a momma and I still put a heat lamp out there on the nights when it is freezing. They finally quit sitting under her now. I thought they were gonna bunch up under her forever. If you can hang a heat lamp I would tell you to go for it. I put a heat lamp out with mine when the nights are freezing, but they will happily run in the rain run around in the colder temps like it is a nice sunny day. They don't seem to have any ill effects from it. I decided that if some of our friends byc friends way up in Montana, Michigan, Iowa etc can let there chicks out in their spring they will be fine in our winter. I think it is about the same climate wise. I guess the only thing you should wonder is based on their breed. I know some people say frizzles and silkies should be in a more temperature controlled environment.

    Right now I'm trying to figure out how old Silkies should be when they move outside. I have four of them that are in the house and they are about 6 weeks and starting to get a bit rowdy for staying in the brooder! Plus I have more babies pipping to take there place [​IMG]

    Hope this helps.

  3. TGarcia

    TGarcia Songster

    Mar 23, 2009
    I'm in Texas too and unless you can put a light out there with them I would suggest keeping them inside at night. I'm not in south texas....but from what the weather is forecasting, we are in for some cold cold temps in the next week or two. I've got some eggs to incubate coming in the next day or two. But by the time they are hatched and old enough to go outside I am hoping we are past all the really cold stuff.

    Plus I am a very over protective chicken mommy as well. SO just to be on the safe side I would say inside at night for sure if you can't get a light out there to help keep them warm. And possibly letting them go out during the day if the temps are not to bad.
  4. BooBear

    BooBear Chicken Cuddler

    Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I agree in that they really need all of their feathers in before you can put them in the other coop at night unless you rig access to heat source and block off drafts for them.
    I would keep them in the brooder until they all have their juvenille feathers in to keep them warm.

    Our temps down here in the South part of Texas is pretty yo-yo right now. Going from mild to 30ish; even a few nights in the 20s.
  5. lauriruth

    lauriruth Songster

    Thanks you guys! I just needed reinforcement! my gut was telling me to keep them close to hearth/home for a bit longer. and i would miss their sweet little soft voices at night right after i turn the light out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: