So, VERY CONFUSED!!!!??

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello I have an EE/Brahma cross pullet who is laying Olive colored eggs, & have been trying to figure out who. Well I narrowed it down to one.
I marked each girl with a different color in there vents with food dye.

The two silver necked girls lay brown. I caught them laying in front of me in the nesting box.

Just yesterday I marked the last two girls who have gold necks. One laid an egg in front of me in the nesting box(She was marked orange), she laid a brown egg with orange food dye, so she was eliminated, & that left the other Golden necked girl who I leg banded.

Well the girl I leg banded was marked with the color royal blue, & this is what I got.

Yesterday's egg on the left, today's egg on the right.
20201120_150012.jpg
Another egg from the pullet today. I watched her lay this one too. There's a small blue spot on the pink egg.
20201120_155654.jpg
20201120_155143.jpg

Pigmentation, and distribution can change. It can appear more prominent in olive egg layers. One of mine would lay olive, light olive, and grey eggs.
Okay, but the other eggs that are brown, & pink have the blue dye on it too. No other shade of green.

From what I've heard and seen, there are two main colors of eggs: Blue and white, then the brown pigment is added, (And maybe a heavy bloom or whatever it's called) making the other various shades. Blue+brown=green. White+brown=brown. White and blue eggs have no other pigmentation. This is why if you look at the inside of a green egg's shell, it will be blue, and if you look at the inside of a brown egg's shell, it will be white. I don't think it is possible for a bird to change the real, base color of the egg. So, from my understanding, I have no idea how it would be possible for the same hen to lay both green and brown eggs! I agree, I am very confused! Someone say something if I got anything, or everything wrong. :D

From what I've heard and seen, there are two main colors of eggs: Blue and white, then the brown pigment is added, (And maybe a heavy bloom or whatever it's called) making the other various shades. Blue+brown=green. White+brown=brown. White and blue eggs have no other pigmentation. This is why if you look at the inside of a green egg's shell, it will be blue, and if you look at the inside of a brown egg's shell, it will be white. I don't think it is possible for a bird to change the real, base color of the egg. So, from my understanding, I have no idea how it would be possible for the same hen to lay both green and brown eggs! I agree, I am very confused! Someone say something if I got anything, or everything wrong. :D
My sister's EE lays blue, & the inside of the egg is white.

I understand the egg color breeding, just confused about how I have two colors going on in one chicken.

I didnt know this. That's cool.

My sister's EE lays blue, & the inside of the egg is white.

I understand the egg color breeding, just confused about how I have two colors going on in one chicken.
Are you sure it's not the white membrane stuff that's white?

Yes, I really have no idea, that was my very long way of saying that! I am going to watch this thread, it is very interesting!

Are you sure it's not the white membrane stuff that's white?

Yes, I really have no idea, that was my very long way of saying that! I am going to watch this thread, it is very interesting!
Yes, the membrane is white. I've seen blue eggs with blue/green membranes. My EE rooster hatched from an egg like that.

Back
Top Bottom