So very sad! =O(

Terry

Songster
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Lexington,NC
I had just bought a pr of silkies (PQ i was told)and put them in a temp pen for now. Well when I went out to feed water etc I started to really look at them. I saw so much dried poop on the males feet and legs and the girl on one o her legs had string wrapped all around her toes and leg. I just don't understand how ppl can treat animals this way =O(
Anyway... goig to give them a warm bath and and blow dry now and I hope they will be okay. Has anyone else given theirs a bath? I think I should use baby shampoo but any suggestions or comments?
PS there is also 2 eggs in there with her but she is not sitting on them.

Oh my - good thing they found you!!! Yes, we've bathed a chicken before. We used a bucket with warm water and some baby soap. If all you need to wash is their feet, this might work best. Might want to set out an area with some DE so they can dust bathe and kill any cooties at the same time. Hope they are ok and good luck!

Yes you can give your chicken a bath, Just make sure they are good a dry before returning them outside. The eggs, thats breakfast. lol How about some pics as soon as you are done.
big_smile.png
peace

Okay thx for the advice all done now... shew!
Well she is just the sweetest little thing I swear! She let me do whatever i had to to. I think she knew I was trying to help her maybe.
smile.png

So it was 52 with a cold wind here so I decided to get one of my old St. Bernard's puppy crates n fresh cedar to put them in and leave in house for now. Well the male got loose and had to ask my hubby to help me boy is he FAST! lol (rooster not hubby) any way I did not give him a whole bath just feet and rear endas suggsted. She got the works poor baby lol It took me awhile to get the string unwrapped , it was so tight in some spots and embedded in others with dried poop mixed in just HORRIBLE!
sad.png
Gave her a bath, blow dried her and put a little vaseline on her boo boo's.
My goodness how so very thin they both are =O(
Boy do I learn the hard way (sight unseen from auction never again!)very stupid mistake sigh
roll.png

Well guess what? Neither one of them have black skin hmmmm
hmm.png
???? Oh well 2 late don't care I love them already!(in my whole 3 days of having them)
I will keep them and care for them until then end !
big_smile.png
Hope I do well for them thx 4 listening so here r the pics

Stringed foot

17215_string_tied.jpg

1st bath!

17215_her_1st_bath.jpg

getting blow dried

17215_getting_dried.jpg

all better

17215_all_better.jpg

ahhhh

17215_ahhhh.jpg

his blow dry

17215_his_blow_dry.jpg

nap time - see her under his rear end lol

17215_time_for_a_nap.jpg

cedar shavings are a big no-no. You should remove them asap.
Do a search here................

I looked it up real quick and I guess the oils in the cedar cause respiratory and eye irritation

They look good and they are much better off without that stuff on their feet
wink.png

Last edited:
Oh my yes - they are toxic to birds. Use pine only.

Congrats though - you did a wonderful job! I can't believe the poor things had their feet tied like that! They are lucky to have you!!!

OMG!!!! okay I am now sitting here holding them both
hubby is cleaning it out
i didn't want to take any chances
i only have hay then which they had outside

Whew...disaster averted!!! Until they are dried off, you can even put some newspaper on the floor. It's better than slipping and sliding and it's only temporary but much easier to clean!

Many many thanks for respondng so quickly I glad I refreshed the page! klf73 and LilRalphieRoosmama
You are my heros of the day! !!!!!
wink.png

Thought I was gonna need CPR for a minute there Sheweeee
I had a hard time finding this post again guess I was so upset lol
Where do I do a search on here or did you mean google?

Back
Top Bottom