So we bought some full grown chickens at a Flea Market today...

MizAmberLea

Songster
5 Years
Mar 17, 2018
South Central Texas
American Game Fowl?
Old English Game Fowl?

What do y’all think?

Attachments

• 75BBBF44-E046-4173-860A-1F361C6EF95B.jpeg
    75BBBF44-E046-4173-860A-1F361C6EF95B.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 94
I’ve been getting home after dark every day since we got them-hopefully I can get a better picture for y’all tomorrow...
I know we have at least one hen-out of the four one has black legs and we’re getting an egg a day.
But we’ve DEFINITELY got at least two roosters. And they fight, a lot. One is beat up pretty badly, and when the other gets near him he moves.
One stays roosted atop the hen house at night, the other three stay inside the house.

No idea on breed. Unless they're bantams. If they're bantams, they're definitely not Old English Game.

And all of the birds you have pictured are hens. Hens (EDT: Especially gamebirds) will fight with each other and with roosters until the pecking order is sorted. Less something called 'hen feathering' which is rather rare, most wild-type color roosters look like this:
upload_2018-4-20_13-15-47.jpeg

Leg color can be sexlinked, but it has nothing to do with the sex of the bird. Here's a good picture that shows how to identify males
Aoxa+1.jpeg

It can take new hens a while to settle into a new situation and consistently produce eggs. What you're getting now is very likely just the eggs left in the ovary, and then you'll experience a drop in egg production as stress gets to them. A few weeks later, egg production should return to normal levels (but that's just my experience.)

Assuming that they are games, and they do look like they are, you're not going to get a huge amount of eggs anyway. Generally, if I get one a day from my bantams, I assume someone's thinking hard about going broody.

Gotta love the World Wide Web, right? I search Old English, I get the same picture results of that of an American...
Pfffft. As well as other photos that look nothing like my chickens.
I also get the same, and even clearer and more convincing pictures of Cornish.

Regardless, here we are. We aren’t worried about egg production. We didn’t buy these birds for that at all. We had our entire flock of RIRs ripped apart by two thug dogs - they tore through our coop like it was made of cheese.
So we repaired it and fortified it, then sought out grown noise makers to serve as, for lack of a better word, bait.
We put them in our newly secured poultry mansion and staked out the place - laying in wait to catch the thugs.

To date we have had no other incidents with the hoodlums - and I even made the comment the other day that if the dogs did breach the boundaries again they may win eventually, but our flea market chickens wouldn’t give up without a heckofa fight.

Back
Top Bottom