So, What *Are* Your Goals With Your Rooster(s)?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
In every thread about picking a rooster or keeping/not keeping roosters the experienced people always ask what goal the OP has for keeping a rooster. I'm still feeling my way along and thinking about how to choose between my cockerels and trying to figure out what my goals actually *are*. I thought it would be both fun and helpful to discuss our different goals and, for the more experienced, how those goals may have changed over time.

My first goal is sustainability, because I want to be able to hatch chicks rather than buy them -- acknowledging that I'd probably buy some anyway unless I end up with a tight breed focus and the goal of developing a line of a specific breed.

Second, I actually *like* to hear a rooster crow. So the sound of his voice will influence my choice.

Third, my flock has to do well in my climate and under my management system.

All human-aggression is automatically out. Not only do I have grandchildren, but I'm not interested in bleeding myself.

Additionally, there are certainly enough chickens in the world that suit my aesthetic preferences that I can afford to say "No red or yellow, period" without having to compromise on things that are objectively more important than color.

Beyond that, I'm still figuring out my goals.

My main goal is for predator protection. Although roosters are not able to fight off large predators (atleast mine), they can warn their hens and, in turn, warn me. It took me a while to distinguish the "egg song" call and the "predator" call though...

I also like hatching my own eggs.

@3KillerBs, My thoughts, exactly. (Except I don't have grandchildren.)

I don't free range now, and don't expect to in the near future, but I don't rule it out. I started with 3 pullets and 3 straight run, and of course the straight run were all cockerels. Two had to go bye-bye at 4 months. I have added 3 pullet chicks :fl, and that will be it for this year.

If next year I have a broody, I might hatch some eggs. My roo gives me that option, and I like options.

If my neighbor gets a broody next year, I may give her some eggs to hatch.

I just like having a rooster in the flock. Even though I can get fertile eggs to hatch, I wanted him for the way that the flock acts. The hens do not harass each other as much with a top roo over them all, in my experience. I have kept more than one cock in the past, and decided that it was more trouble than it was worth. Maybe because they were Brown Leghorns and pretty aggressive! They terrified my Cocker Spaniel dog! They had to be separated from the Buff Orpington roo I had at that time, they shredded the big Orp. Those bad boys = soup pot. Orpington Roo was the keeper.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any roosters right now. However, I’ll outline my criteria I’ve used in the past and that I plan on using in the future.

I don’t get rid of any of my roosters and don’t plan to. However, I will always have to choose who goes into the bachelor flock and who goes with the hens.

One thing that has limited my choices in the past was the fact that all my hens were bantams. I could only choose bantam roosters to go with them.

Of course, I’ll always put human aggressive roosters in the bachelor flock. Other than them being overprotective of their hens, they also could have more human aggressive offspring if bred.

Roosters being able to get along with other roosters is really important to me. I enjoy having a flock with hens and multiple roosters. The interactions are interesting to watch and it opens up more options for breeding. Not to mention that more roosters means a better predator warning system. Any who bully will go into the bachelor flock, where they will be much less aggressive to each other.

Since I’ve always had mutts and that’s what I plan to have in the future, plumage color isn’t important to me. If I ever wanted to breed a nice looking rooster in the bachelor flock, I will always be able to separate him with some hens.

Politeness of roosters is important to me as well. Roosters who over-mate the hens or are too rough and violent with hens/pullets/chicks will go into the bachelor flock.

I love having friendly roosters. However, since my plans have always included a bachelor flock, I don’t need to keep human friendly roosters in with the hens, since I’d still be able to interact with them separately. (By human friendly roosters I mean ones who enjoy peoples’ company and aren’t skittish.)

In every thread about picking a rooster or keeping/not keeping roosters the experienced people always ask what goal the OP has for keeping a rooster. I'm still feeling my way along and thinking about how to choose between my cockerels and trying to figure out what my goals actually *are*. I thought it would be both fun and helpful to discuss our different goals and, for the more experienced, how those goals may have changed over time.

My first goal is sustainability, because I want to be able to hatch chicks rather than buy them -- acknowledging that I'd probably buy some anyway unless I end up with a tight breed focus and the goal of developing a line of a specific breed.

Second, I actually *like* to hear a rooster crow. So the sound of his voice will influence my choice.

Third, my flock has to do well in my climate and under my management system.

All human-aggression is automatically out. Not only do I have grandchildren, but I'm not interested in bleeding myself.

Additionally, there are certainly enough chickens in the world that suit my aesthetic preferences that I can afford to say "No red or yellow, period" without having to compromise on things that are objectively more important than color.

Beyond that, I'm still figuring out my goals.
Great topic. Like you, I like the sound (and the looks), but I can't keep buying chickens. For me, right now, it's simple reproduction. I have my first hatch in the incubator now.I'm looking to get a few pullets to add to the flock. Try to sell extras/cockerels. If the flock accepts a cockerel, I'll keep him too. If not, I still have to feed my family. It's a win all around.

Back
Top Bottom