So, what do you all do about the flies???

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
Okay, it wasnt as bad last spring, but this spring I am noticing a lot of small nat-like flies around my pen (not so much in the coop). I just put lime down for the first time also.

My question is what do you all do about the flies? ANd, if you put lime down to help control the pen, how much do you use. ...oh, and any ideas for controling the "scent" associated with the chicken's pen???

Thanks!

What is Sweet PDZ--I havent heard of that and where do I get it????
idunno.gif

We just put up a hanging fly trap for the first time - but i'd love to hear what everyone else is doing...... I'll let you know how the trap works in a few days...

The hanging fly traps work really well...I used one last summer. Flypaper's fine except for if a bird flies into it. I went wild at the Stateline Tack sale and bought a ton of fly stuff...

Iuse fly predators you have to put fhtem high so the chickens don't eat them but they work fine What is sweet PDZ I have never heard of it Our local feed store doesn't carry it Is there any where else to get it.

I just read this on another site: Take a glass (8oz) and place about 1" of cider vinegar and a squirt of dish soap. Place a white (copy paper) funnel with the small opening about 3/4" wide into the glass. The flies go in and drown.

What my grandmothers did... Put a pan of milk (goat or cow) out, the flys will fly onto it. The chickens will eat the flys and drink the milk.

DE or Sweet PDZ works too.
wink.png

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom