1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So, what do you all do about the flies???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tiffanyh, May 7, 2007.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Okay, it wasnt as bad last spring, but this spring I am noticing a lot of small nat-like flies around my pen (not so much in the coop). I just put lime down for the first time also.

My question is what do you all do about the flies? ANd, if you put lime down to help control the pen, how much do you use. ...oh, and any ideas for controling the "scent" associated with the chicken's pen???

Thanks!

2. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I use Sweet PDZ to control ordors and reduce flies, I haven't notice a fly issue yet but have noticed some nats.

3. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    What is Sweet PDZ--I havent heard of that and where do I get it????[​IMG]

4. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    We just put up a hanging fly trap for the first time - but i'd love to hear what everyone else is doing...... I'll let you know how the trap works in a few days...

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The hanging fly traps work really well...I used one last summer. Flypaper's fine except for if a bird flies into it. I went wild at the Stateline Tack sale and bought a ton of fly stuff...

6. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hanging fly traps...Hmmmm...does it seem to work for smaller nat like flies too???[​IMG]

7. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I also use Sweet PDZ and have no fly or gnat problems.

Sweet PDZ can be found at feed stores.

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Iuse fly predators you have to put fhtem high so the chickens don't eat them but they work fine What is sweet PDZ I have never heard of it Our local feed store doesn't carry it Is there any where else to get it.

9. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I just read this on another site: Take a glass (8oz) and place about 1" of cider vinegar and a squirt of dish soap. Place a white (copy paper) funnel with the small opening about 3/4" wide into the glass. The flies go in and drown.

What my grandmothers did... Put a pan of milk (goat or cow) out, the flys will fly onto it. The chickens will eat the flys and drink the milk.

DE or Sweet PDZ works too. [​IMG]

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  10. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by