So, what do you all do about the flies???

Since I knew flies could be a problem, as soon as the chicks moved outdoors, I hung up three milk jug traps.....they did absolutely NOTHING. I did a little research and ended up buying a Fly Predator.... it hasn't come in the mail yet. I have to say that I consider the fly problem here severe. Gazillions of flies. Totally disgusting.

BUT....a few days ago I read something about food grade DE doing the job. Soooo, yesterday before the girls came out of their house, I generously dusted DE over their entire run. Today when I got home from work there was ONE fly in the vicinity......and I'm sure his moments are numbered. Wahoo, I'm surprised DE worked so well, and so happy it did the job. I'm still looking forward to getting the Fly Predator for an extra proactive measure, but in the meantime, DE has performed a miracle and all my ladies and thrilled!

woot.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif

I generously dusted DE over their entire run.

Feed the DE to the chickens, the DE in the dropping kills the fly larva.

You can make fly traps http://insected.arizona.edu/flyrear.htm (I used a coat hanger instead of string)

Finding the correct "bait" can vary the success rate. I tried fruit in one and sugar/vinegar in another. Got different results in different locations. Both being poor results (used only a few days) considering the amount of flies that is around.​

FOOD GRADE DE is my favorite method as it works in all life stages and multiple buggers!
*The dust scratches the outer skeletons of insects and "dries them to death"
*spread it in the coop: keep the poo and such dryer, so the poop dries before the larvae can develop (it also kills the mites and lice that are hiding in the bedding!)
* put some in their favorite dusting areas--in this way, the chickens dust themselves with DE and take care of mites, lice, etc.
* Feed it to the chickens: their poo comes out dryer in the first place...and helps with internal parasites while their at it.

I also use Sweet PDZ in the coop (usually when I run out of DE ( I have to order it online, so I can't just go to the store!). (I also put it in the cat litter box and it helps by keeping the amonia smell WAY down--although now I forget to clean it as often cuz I dont smell it).

By the way...if you can't find Sweet PDZ, it's competitor is Stall Dry...both are basically the same. Usually, feed stores cary one or the other.

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom