So what do you do with a stray chicken? advice?

nuts4chickens

Songster
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Kingston, GA
So a few days ago while out at the coop I saw a teensy little banty hen peek around the outside corner at me. At first, I thought one of my Dutch had gotten out, but after a head count, realized this was NOT one of my birds. We tried to catch her but she flew like a bird over the fence into a tree top. We've been keeping our eyes out for her, because we have two big dogs in our fenced in yard that would love to have her for lunch if she flew back over.(Our chickens stay in the coop, and free range the yard when the dogs are put up in the kennel) Well- today she came back and has been hanging out in the tree that shades our coop. We waited for dark to come, and got a step ladder and a net and caught her. NOW what do I do? She looks to be an OEG or maybe a serama. Red earlobes, yellow legs, same size or a little smaller than my Dutch bantams. I'll post pics tomorrow. A few years ago, we decided we would never introduce anything to the flock we hadn't hatched ourselves or bought as day olds from a hatchery because we had a bad experience with buying some sick birds. BUT- I couldn't just let her get eaten by my dogs, or Lord knows what. Plus the heat index is 110 here today and what has she been drinking? After we caught her, I looked her over really good once we got her in the house. She looks to atleast be laying age because she's nice and red. She's got a decent breast bone so she hasn't been on her own long, or at least has been fairing well. No mites. Looks like she's got an old almost healed wound on her neck probably from a close call being out on her own. Her nails look like they've been clipped at one time. All in all she looks to be pretty healthy. But I have no idea what to do with her. I have Dutch bantams and I really don't want to mix her in with them. I have a pen of mix and match banties I could put her in...but I am so WEARY about older birds and sickness. She's in quarantine. Have you ever had "stray" chickens show up? What would you do?

sounds like a gift from God... quarantine and keep!
smile.png

You could post a FOUND ad on Craig's List or your local paper/web. Have someone describe said hen.

If not, find her a new home or integrate her with your birds.

ya.gif
I am a chicken enabler.
ya.gif
You are going to need a second coop and flock.
ya.gif

Okay the craigslist idea isn't a bad idea.
th.gif

I too saw a "stray" chicken this summer - it was a bantum with feathered feet. Now you and I *know* that sort of chicken didn't just get born in the wild! It's hard to believe, but I guess people dump chickens just like cats and dogs. That's sad because they really are targets for predators.

We have had a stray hen around us for the past month. I suspect she is an escaped battery hen but she has survived nicely on her own: sleeps in a pile of brush ( we think) and goes into the patch of woods for water. She has not made any effort to join our flock when they free range or even approach when Barney crows. We have mostly open fields with narrow fencerows.
We have no desire to keep her and arent' quite sure how we'd even catch her. Even our dog doesn't bother with her because she keeps her distance anywhere from 500 to 1000 ft away. We actually refer to her as *bait* because any varmint would likely go after her before coming close to the house and after our free range flock.
We sure hope that her survival means that our blue Orp will show up again in two weeks with fluffbutts trailing. We have no idea where DarkBlue is!
Our flock doesn't range where MsBait lives. The range areas seem to overlap by about 25 feet and that's all.

Okay- here she is... What do y'all think she is? She has light yellow/whitish legs and red ear lobes. I'm thinking maybe serama? Or does she look more like OEG? She is itty bitty!

41521_img_5165.jpg

41521_img_5162.jpg

Back
Top Bottom