So what do you think-new BCM rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by heathersboers, Dec 9, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Brought this guy home- his parents came from bevs marans- he is supposed to be show quality-but I have no clue what to look for as far as standards- he is about 10 months now- has feathered shanks-Did I do OK? is he marked correctly? Also-are the pullets supposed to have copper on their neck or solid black??
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The pullets should have copper on the neck.

He's pretty, but if you want honesty, he has far too little of coppering and too big and high set of a tail.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

He definitely has the squirrel tail look going on. My best colored roo has it too [​IMG] Hard to find the perfect one!

4. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Do you think the older he gets-the more coppering will come? He looks like he has more in daylight-let me see if I can get a better pic. Do you think I need to get a different one? Thanks!!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you want to breed for good quality (physically speaking) Black Copper Marans, yes, sorry, I'd get a different one. No, he won't get much more coppering than that.

If you know he came from good egg color lines and that's what you're looking to breed for, then he's fine. [​IMG]

6. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Thanks for being honest with me- I have no idea what to look for and I guess I got hoodwinked- the eggs are VERY dark, about an 8- but Id like to have a more close to standard roo to start with for my own breedstock. I want the best I can get- maransofms here I come!!!

7. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i dont know much but hes a handsome one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by