So what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheraboo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    I sent Ana to let the chickens out of the coop since it is so beautiful out today. Hopper (Buttercup pullet) and Sasquatch (Silkie cockerel) were jumping into each other ... it was pretty funny. Hopper had her feathers all fluffed out and they were like chest butting each other (if that makes sense). I've never seen any of the chickens do this before. What gives?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I love it when they do that like drunken men at a super bowl party!!! They are trying to decide who is boss. Or having a superbowl party [​IMG]

3. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Quote:Sumo wrestling!!!

4. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Yup, it's just a little bit of harmless posturing.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Your hen thinks she is in charge and your roo is reminding her of her place. I love to watch hen on roo fights. People think roos fighting is so harmful but the hens fight viciously. My girls get very aggressive if a roo is in their way... [​IMG]

6. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I love it when the little ones do it, lol.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree! Come to think of it, my rooster probably agrees with you too! Every time he has to step in to break up a fight between my hens you can tell by the look on his face that he would rather be anywhere else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by