So, when IS spring exactly?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zoomia, Jan 11, 2010.

1. zoomia

zoomia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    I had a bunch of hens quit laying for the winter, and I'm wondering when they're going to start again. Spring seems to mean different things to different people -- some say after the winter equinox when the days start getting longer, some say Feb, some say "early spring," by which I understand March .... I'm in the Pacific NW, so it doesn't get really cold here, but it does get very dark and rainy for days on end.

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Traditonally it is the end on March. But last year for us it started in FEB. I am thinking it will be the same this year. Season are moving earlier each year now.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Where I grew up, Spring was considered to start March 1. Now that I live in the US, my understanding is that it is when the Spring equinox begins, usually around March 21st. It seems to me that around here, March can bring any kind of weather - from a late winter storm to some gorgeous warm and sunny days - so I think of March as the beginning of Spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by